Reds in FA Cup last 16
Langford Ladies progressed to the last 16 of the FA Women s Cup on Sunday with a 2-1 extra-time win over Southampton Saints. Their reward is a home tie against the winners of Millwall and Everton in the fifth round. Naomi Lyon had Langford s best chances
Langford Ladies progressed to the last 16 of the FA Women's Cup on Sunday with a 2-1 extra-time win over Southampton Saints.
Their reward is a home tie against the winners of Millwall and Everton in the fifth round.
Naomi Lyon had Langford's best chances in a goalless first half on a heavy pitch at Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City.
Southampton's only efforts came from distance as the home side's back four restricted their higher league opponents.
Ten minutes after the break, Saints took the lead when a shot from outside the penalty area found the top corner of Verity Crook's net.
Langford regrouped and started to push the visitors back with some good football, feeding the forwards Faye Rees and Lyon who were always a threat.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
Sub Jade White added impetus with a couple of well-struck efforts.
Lyon collected a pass from Emma Tune, beat the Saints defence before driving a fierce shot past the keeper to level the score on 80 minutes.
With no further goals, the game moved into extra time.
As the tie looked to be heading for penalties, Laura Bright powered out of the midfield, fed Lyon whose shot looped over the helpless keeper to give Langford a well-deserved win.
Langford squad: Verity Crook, Nikki Day, Sheree Oliver, Sophie Bailey, Debbie Styles, Emma Tune (Donna McGuigan 85), Laveena Betts, Laura Bright, Shelley Forster (Jade White 65), Naomi Lyon, Faye Rees. Sub not used: Laura Shearwood.