Reds in FA Cup last 16
Langford Ladies progressed to the last 16 of the FA Women s Cup on Sunday with a 2-1 extra-time win over Southampton Saints. Their reward is a home tie against the winners of Millwall and Everton in the fifth round. Naomi Lyon had Langford s best chances
Langford Ladies progressed to the last 16 of the FA Women's Cup on Sunday with a 2-1 extra-time win over Southampton Saints.
Their reward is a home tie against the winners of Millwall and Everton in the fifth round.
Naomi Lyon had Langford's best chances in a goalless first half on a heavy pitch at Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City.
Southampton's only efforts came from distance as the home side's back four restricted their higher league opponents.
You may also want to watch:
Ten minutes after the break, Saints took the lead when a shot from outside the penalty area found the top corner of Verity Crook's net.
Langford regrouped and started to push the visitors back with some good football, feeding the forwards Faye Rees and Lyon who were always a threat.
- 1 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 2 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 3 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 4 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 5 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 6 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 7 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 8 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 9 Fit for a Queen! A look back at Stevenage's royal visits
- 10 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
Sub Jade White added impetus with a couple of well-struck efforts.
Lyon collected a pass from Emma Tune, beat the Saints defence before driving a fierce shot past the keeper to level the score on 80 minutes.
With no further goals, the game moved into extra time.
As the tie looked to be heading for penalties, Laura Bright powered out of the midfield, fed Lyon whose shot looped over the helpless keeper to give Langford a well-deserved win.
Langford squad: Verity Crook, Nikki Day, Sheree Oliver, Sophie Bailey, Debbie Styles, Emma Tune (Donna McGuigan 85), Laveena Betts, Laura Bright, Shelley Forster (Jade White 65), Naomi Lyon, Faye Rees. Sub not used: Laura Shearwood.