Reds in FA Cup last 16
Langford Ladies progressed to the last 16 of the FA Women s Cup on Sunday with a 2-1 extra-time win over Southampton Saints. Their reward is a home tie against the winners of Millwall and Everton in the fifth round. Naomi Lyon had Langford s best chances
Langford Ladies progressed to the last 16 of the FA Women's Cup on Sunday with a 2-1 extra-time win over Southampton Saints.
Their reward is a home tie against the winners of Millwall and Everton in the fifth round.
Naomi Lyon had Langford's best chances in a goalless first half on a heavy pitch at Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City.
Southampton's only efforts came from distance as the home side's back four restricted their higher league opponents.
Ten minutes after the break, Saints took the lead when a shot from outside the penalty area found the top corner of Verity Crook's net.
Langford regrouped and started to push the visitors back with some good football, feeding the forwards Faye Rees and Lyon who were always a threat.
- 1 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 2 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 3 Man in his 80s seriously injured after Honda crash in Stevenage
- 4 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
- 5 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 6 Get ready to geek out as a new gaming café comes to Stevenage
- 7 New avenue of trees planted in Hitchin's Bancroft
- 8 Spaceship 'landing' at school grabs Prime Minister's attention
- 9 Neighbours set to host Jubilee street party in aid of hospice - and you can too!
- 10 Year-long car park closure as construction for new multi-storey set to begin
Sub Jade White added impetus with a couple of well-struck efforts.
Lyon collected a pass from Emma Tune, beat the Saints defence before driving a fierce shot past the keeper to level the score on 80 minutes.
With no further goals, the game moved into extra time.
As the tie looked to be heading for penalties, Laura Bright powered out of the midfield, fed Lyon whose shot looped over the helpless keeper to give Langford a well-deserved win.
Langford squad: Verity Crook, Nikki Day, Sheree Oliver, Sophie Bailey, Debbie Styles, Emma Tune (Donna McGuigan 85), Laveena Betts, Laura Bright, Shelley Forster (Jade White 65), Naomi Lyon, Faye Rees. Sub not used: Laura Shearwood.