Reds go for the title
BALDOCK Town s footballers need just one win from their remaining two matches to clinch the Herts Senior County League Division One title. This is after the Reds won 3-1 at Sarratt on Saturday. The visitors took the lead on six minutes as a Lee Rusbridge
BALDOCK Town's footballers need just one win from their remaining two matches to clinch the Herts Senior County League Division One title.
This is after the Reds won 3-1 at Sarratt on Saturday.
The visitors took the lead on six minutes as a Lee Rusbridge corner was rifled into the net from close range by a home defender.
Sarratt thought they had equalised five minutes later, when a fine cross from the right was turned in from close range, but the home forward was given offside.
You may also want to watch:
Baldock doubled their advantage on the half hour. Darren Matussa delivered a deep cross finding Lee Rogers at the far post. Rogers drove the ball across goal and James Smith arrived right on cue to thump home from the tightest of angles.
The home side started the second half with renewed purpose, but their hopes of getting anything from the match soon evaporated as Cameron Brawley rounded off a fine move involving Smith and Harry Holland to make it 3-0.
- 1 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 2 Inside the breathtaking £2.6million historic house that has its own 'party barn'
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 5 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 6 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
- 7 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 8 Unbeaten run over but Alex Revell disappointed with manner of Salford defeat
- 9 Complaints about Stevenage beauty store made to national fraud agency
- 10 Electrical store reopening with competition to win free 50-inch TV
Sarratt pulled a goal back 14 minutes from time to give themselves a glimmer of hope.
But missed chances for Rogers and Sam Perrin in the closing moments could have given the scoreline a more flattering look.
They will aim to seal their first title at Knights Templar Sports Centre this Saturday against Croxley Guild (2.30pm ko).
Bedwell Rangers lost 2-1 at home to Cuffley in a bottom of the table clash.
They missed lots of chances before Cuffley struck their first goal in the 41st minute against the run of play.
Cuffley doubled their lead with 20 minutes still to play.
Bedwell halved the deficit five minutes from time when Rob Guinan hit the post from 20 yards and the rebound fell to Matt Brett who was fouled. Lloyd Taylor stepped up to convert the resulting penalty.