Reds go for the title
BALDOCK Town s footballers need just one win from their remaining two matches to clinch the Herts Senior County League Division One title. This is after the Reds won 3-1 at Sarratt on Saturday. The visitors took the lead on six minutes as a Lee Rusbridge
BALDOCK Town's footballers need just one win from their remaining two matches to clinch the Herts Senior County League Division One title.
This is after the Reds won 3-1 at Sarratt on Saturday.
The visitors took the lead on six minutes as a Lee Rusbridge corner was rifled into the net from close range by a home defender.
Sarratt thought they had equalised five minutes later, when a fine cross from the right was turned in from close range, but the home forward was given offside.
Baldock doubled their advantage on the half hour. Darren Matussa delivered a deep cross finding Lee Rogers at the far post. Rogers drove the ball across goal and James Smith arrived right on cue to thump home from the tightest of angles.
The home side started the second half with renewed purpose, but their hopes of getting anything from the match soon evaporated as Cameron Brawley rounded off a fine move involving Smith and Harry Holland to make it 3-0.
- 1 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 5 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 6 Hitchin Boys head to National Athletics Final
- 7 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 8 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 9 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 10 Alice, 10, set to chop long locks for Ukraine aid
Sarratt pulled a goal back 14 minutes from time to give themselves a glimmer of hope.
But missed chances for Rogers and Sam Perrin in the closing moments could have given the scoreline a more flattering look.
They will aim to seal their first title at Knights Templar Sports Centre this Saturday against Croxley Guild (2.30pm ko).
Bedwell Rangers lost 2-1 at home to Cuffley in a bottom of the table clash.
They missed lots of chances before Cuffley struck their first goal in the 41st minute against the run of play.
Cuffley doubled their lead with 20 minutes still to play.
Bedwell halved the deficit five minutes from time when Rob Guinan hit the post from 20 yards and the rebound fell to Matt Brett who was fouled. Lloyd Taylor stepped up to convert the resulting penalty.