Probuild lose for the first time in county cup action at Apoel

It was a long time coming but Probuild were beaten for the first time this season. They controlled their county cup game in Enfield for the first 20 minutes but fell to a sucker punch from Apoel who struck twice in quick succession. They started to find t

It was a long time coming but Probuild were beaten for the first time this season.

They controlled their county cup game in Enfield for the first 20 minutes but fell to a sucker punch from Apoel who struck twice in quick succession.

They started to find their feet and Adam MacKenzie pulled one back from a Lee Allinson free-kick. However, the two-goal lead was restored immediately. Terry Pateman had a shot cleared off the line and a Kenny Slack shot hit the post. However, Apoel added another to make sure they made the semis.

A cracking Premier Division Cup match saw Mallard take the lead from a set piece through Tom Henry as they played the first 20 minutes with 10 men.

Bedwell Athletic equalised when a cracking right-wing cross from Chris Mathews was headed home by Steve Underwood. They turned it around as Underwood's free-kick went straight in with just a few minutes remaining but Craig Reynolds' header took the game to extra-time.

Perry Phillips gave Mallard the lead after a good counter-attack before Paul Underwood hit a great volley to send the game to penalties.

Most Read

Both sides missed their first kick, Dean Wiley and Paul Coxall netted for Bedwell but Steve Underwood had his saved.

Gary Paulus, Lee Noble and Reynolds scored for Mallard, before Phillips wrapped it up to take them to a semi-final meeting with Bottles or Dun Cow who meet on April 8.

Nirankari Sports Sabha went through to a semi-final meeting with Hermit of Redcoats this Sunday as Station failed to field a side.

The 'result' also counted as a league fixture.

In the Division One Cup semi-finals, Pin Green finally overcame a Peartree side who had taken four league points off them. Hotshot Richard Griffiths' strike from the edge of area gave them the lead before he added a second.

A Paul Ingram-Tedd cross forced an own goal before Griffiths completed his hat-trick when he blasted the ball in from a tight angle. They will face Probuild or MBDA in the final.

Newcotech made the Division Two Cup final as Adam Paine opened the scoring. Jason Drackford was on the mark yet again with a brace as Martin Matthews and Paul Staines' goals were not enough for Old Social.

A massive shock saw basement side Triage set up a date with them despite going down to a goal after just five minutes against Norwich Union, Dave Banks heading home from a Nick Webb free-kick.

Triage's direct approach saw them hit back when Neil Roskilly's shot was parried into the path of Ian Agass for a simple tap-in.

They turned it around when Jim McGarry crossed to Roskilly who directed the ball back across goal for Agass to score again. The scores were level again when James Dillnutt scored an absolute stunner into the top corner from 30 yards.

Roskilly was the hero as he volleyed the ball home. Some last-ditch defending and a good display from keeper Rory Josebury saw them home.

Another upset in the Division Three Cup saw Twin Foxes make the final despite Wayne Coleman giving Bottles Res the lead from a corner.

Pete Duffy equalised before the keeper got sent off for handling outside the box to prevent Duffy from scoring. Just before the break, Leigh Sutton's close-range finish put Bottles back in front.

Rob Barnes missed a penalty for Foxes before Simon O'Reilly's introduction changed things. He managed to head home a Paul Jones long throw to equalise and then got on the end of another Jones throw to set up Barnes who coolly headed in from six yards to put the Foxes through.

The other semi-final was a cracker too. Fox went ahead courtesy of a Michael Oakes header, his first goal of the season. Frazer Triggs prodded home the White Horse equaliser before half-time.

As with the first goal, Darren Lovelock's long throw-ins were causing problems and brother Jason scored twice as a result.

Fox were not to be denied, substitute Sean Wallis' flair and determination changed the game around.

He took on four defenders, before being bought down, Gary Henniker wrapped the ball around the wall. They equalised with a deflected Matt Arlick strike.

Extra-time failed to see any addition to the score, so it was on to the lottery of penalties. The first nine were scored before Jonny Gardner dragged his kick wide of the post to send White Horse through.

As always, cup final dates depend on Stevenage Boro's play-off fate - if they don't make it, games could start from April 22; if they do, it will not be until May 6 at the earliest.

In Premier Division action, Bottles' title chances were dealt a blow as they could not build on Lee Horsley's equaliser after James Bywater gave AFC Proverbial the lead.

Dun Cow continued their good form as Shaun Marshall (two), Ian Thorne (two), Adam Furness, Scott Mahoney and Rikki Doyle netted against Hermit of Redcoats.

MBDA reached their highest ever position as they went top of Division One. Breachwood Lions were poor on the day as Alan Kenney fed Tom Younger for the opener. Jamie Campany headed home Ade Barry's corner before Younger's persistence saw him pull the ball back from the line for Campany to finish again.

Younger's 32nd of the season made it four when he bravely headed the ball over the keeper from Bowler's lofted throughball. The final nail in the coffin saw the goal of the game. Younger rolled the ball wide to Chris Chalat who took a touch before crashing a fierce shot into the keeper's top corner from just inside the box.

Pig and Whistle blew a chance to get close despite Coopers playing the first 10 minutes with just nine men; a late arrival made it 10. Pig did make the breakthrough with a long range effort from Jason Milburn that slipped under the keeper after 25 minutes.

They battled back and won a free-kick 10 yards into their own half. Martin Barrett delivered it long into the box, a mix-up between the defenders and the keeper allowed Danny Wardell to nod home the equaliser before half-time.

Still without a draw from their first 17 games, Stevenage Colts Old Boys moved into sixth as Steve Bush (two) and Barry Hazelton netted against Royal Oak.

Division Two leaders FC Rising Sun were beaten for the first time in the league. They hit the crossbar twice and found Crooked Billet keeper Ryan King in fine form.

Callum Gardiner gave Billet the lead when he powered home a drive from the edge of the box midway through the first-half. Darren Smith equalised for the leaders with only 10 minutes left on the clock, having burst through the defence and hitting an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner. With both teams tiring, chances started to open up for the Billet and with five minutes left, Josh Watson thumped home from an acute angle for the winner to keep them in the hunt.

King Pin United continued their winning ways with a comfortable win against Rapidsource. Danny Hacker game them the lead after a minute with a shot into the top corner.

Steve Reilly doubled it with a cross-shot and Nick Collins added another almost immediately from a Kieran Bowden throw-in. Adam Bannister got in on the act just before half-time. Collins and James Wyatt added two more before Dalziel Geary grabbed a consolation. However, Reilly got his second of the game, firing home while sat on the floor!

An own goal set ProCladd on their way to an easy victory over Granby St George. George Rowe doubled the lead before the break. Charlie Barnett grabbed a second-half hat-trick before the impressive Dave Locke scored in the dying minutes with a half-volley from 25 yards.

With the top three out of league action in Division Three, MC Racing finally found some form. Tom Kelly, Steve Teale and Nik Tribe netted. AFC Stevenage's reply came by way of Terry Lock's superb long-range free-kick.

Ben Collins (two) and Ben Coles were on target as Rileys beat Chequers for whom Ant Alcock netted.

MBDA Res had all the chances in the first-half but had nothing to show for it as top scorer Steve Stapleton missed countless one-on-ones.

North Herts Celtic took the lead through a controversial Daniel Burley strike before Leigh Pollard doubled the lead before the break with a superb free-kick from 25 yards. Darren Curry grabbed a third before Sam Bickerstaff pulled one back.

Mark Barnes struck six times and Ricky Case also netted as Nirankari Sports Sabha won a hastily-arranged and good-natured Invitation Cup tie with Aston Athletic.

* Compiled by Darren Statto Jones (,


Sunday, March 11

Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup, quarter-final: Apoel 4 Probuild 1.

Premier Division Cup, quarter-finals: Bedwell Ath 3 Mallard 3 (aet, pens 2-4), Nirankari SS v Station (off; home win).

Division One Cup, semi-finals: Pin Green 4 Peartree 0.

Division Two Cup, semi-finals: Old Social 2 Newcotech 3, Triage 3 Norwich Union 2.

Division Three Cup, semi-finals: Twin Foxes 3 Bottles Res 2, White Horse 3 Fox 3 (aet, pens 5-4).

Premier Division: Bottles 1 AFC Proverbial 1, Hermit of Redcoats 0 Dun Cow 7, Nirankari SS v Station (off; home win).

Division One: MBDA 5 Breachwood L 0, Pig and Whistle 1 Coopers 1, Stev Colts OB 3 Royal Oak 0.

Division Two: FC Rising Sun 1 Crooked Billet 2, King Pin Utd 7 Rapidsource 1, ProCladd 6 Granby St George 0.

Division Three: Chequers 1 Rileys 3, MC Racing 3 AFC Stev 1, North Herts Celtic 3 MBDA Res 1.

Invitation Cup: Nirankari SS 7 Aston Ath 1.


Sunday, March 18

KLM Challenge Cup, quarter-finals: AFC Proverbial v Dun Cow (KG3), Probuild v Bedwell Ath (SP3).

Premier Division Cup, semi-finals: Nirankari SS v Hermit of Redcoats (10.15, Bald).

Premier Division: Bottles v Old Red Lion (MP), Broadhall v Station (10.30, SP5).

Division One: Aston Ath v Pin Green (CP1), Coopers v Pig and Whistle (HP2), Peartree v Breachwood L (PP1), SCS v Royal Oak (PP5).

Division Two: FC Rising Sun v Newcotech (KG2), King Pin Utd v ProCladd (HP3), Norwich Union v Granby St George (CW4), Old Social v Crooked Billet (RE5), Triage v Rapidsource (PP3).

Division Three: Ath Timebridge v MC Racing (RE4), Bottles Res v Rileys (KG1), Chequers v Fox (RE3), North Herts Celtic v AFC Stev (CW1), White Horse v MBDA Res (10.00, SP4).

Invitation Cup: Stev Colts OB (0v2) Twin Foxes (10.30, SP1).

(cup games kick-off 10am, league games 10.15am, unless otherwise stated)