Potton United victorious
Potton United managed to beat their bogey side at the sixth attempt in two seasons with a convincing 3-1 victory at St Ives on Tuesday night. Having narrowly lost to them in the Hinchingbrooke Cup five days earlier, it was clear to see how motivated Potto
Potton United managed to beat their bogey side at the sixth attempt in two seasons with a convincing 3-1 victory at St Ives on Tuesday night.
Having narrowly lost to them in the Hinchingbrooke Cup five days earlier, it was clear to see how motivated Potton were for this match.
Paul Donnelly gave the visitors the lead with a spectacular 40-yard shot that found its way into the net via a defender, the post and the back of the home keeper's heel.
Brad Harrison doubled the lead five minutes into the second half when he cut in from the right and placed a shot across the keeper from just inside the area.
St Ives rarely tested Brad Gillham in the Potton goal and Paul Garrett added another one for the visitors after 65 minutes when his 20-yard drive crept inside the post.
The home side scored a consolation five minutes from the end when Graham Thackrey netted from close range.
- 1 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 2 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 3 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 4 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 5 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
- 6 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 7 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 8 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 9 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 10 Our Bedfordshire villages: 'Rural reporting has been my greatest pleasure'
A hat-trick from Steve Kuhne helped Potton on their way to a convincing 5-1 home win over Raunds on Saturday.
Potton looked the stronger of the sides for the opening 15 minutes but allowed Raunds to take an 18th minute lead against the run of play.
Kuhne equalised straight from the kick-off when he converted a Paul Donnelly cross.
A Garrett free-kick put Potton in front and Kuhne added his second just before the break when he scored from the penalty spot after Brett Donnelly had been tripped in the area.
A firm Luke Donnelly header 10 minutes into the second half increased the lead and Kuhne sealed his hat-trick with a minute to go.