Potton United victorious
Potton United managed to beat their bogey side at the sixth attempt in two seasons with a convincing 3-1 victory at St Ives on Tuesday night. Having narrowly lost to them in the Hinchingbrooke Cup five days earlier, it was clear to see how motivated Potto
Potton United managed to beat their bogey side at the sixth attempt in two seasons with a convincing 3-1 victory at St Ives on Tuesday night.
Having narrowly lost to them in the Hinchingbrooke Cup five days earlier, it was clear to see how motivated Potton were for this match.
Paul Donnelly gave the visitors the lead with a spectacular 40-yard shot that found its way into the net via a defender, the post and the back of the home keeper's heel.
Brad Harrison doubled the lead five minutes into the second half when he cut in from the right and placed a shot across the keeper from just inside the area.
You may also want to watch:
St Ives rarely tested Brad Gillham in the Potton goal and Paul Garrett added another one for the visitors after 65 minutes when his 20-yard drive crept inside the post.
The home side scored a consolation five minutes from the end when Graham Thackrey netted from close range.
- 1 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 2 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 3 Medical spa at the front of breaking down taboos about cosmetic treatments opens in Stevenage
- 4 CCTV appeal after distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 5 Have your say on future of Stevenage High Street
- 6 Youths to be questioned by police in connection with fountain foam
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 MP Nadine Dorries promoted in cabinet reshuffle
- 9 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 10 Woman suffers cuts and bruises in pub glassing
A hat-trick from Steve Kuhne helped Potton on their way to a convincing 5-1 home win over Raunds on Saturday.
Potton looked the stronger of the sides for the opening 15 minutes but allowed Raunds to take an 18th minute lead against the run of play.
Kuhne equalised straight from the kick-off when he converted a Paul Donnelly cross.
A Garrett free-kick put Potton in front and Kuhne added his second just before the break when he scored from the penalty spot after Brett Donnelly had been tripped in the area.
A firm Luke Donnelly header 10 minutes into the second half increased the lead and Kuhne sealed his hat-trick with a minute to go.