Pool: Perry looks for a break
A Stevenage teenage pool player is looking to shake-up the pack. Perry Gillett, a 16-year-old from Wisden Road, is one of the rising stars in the English Pool Association. The former Nobel schoolboy, now on a NVQ course in construction at college, is an e
A Stevenage teenage pool player is looking to shake-up the pack.
Perry Gillett, a 16-year-old from Wisden Road, is one of the rising stars in the English Pool Association.
The former Nobel schoolboy, now on a NVQ course in construction at college, is an experienced junior circuit player and Premier League player.
He also captains the Herts county youth squad as well as being the number one ranked player.
His stated aim is to become national number one and eventually world champion.
Managed at county level by the England junior manager Judi Collins, he is based at the Shades Pool Club in Hatfield but is also a member at Rileys in Stevenage.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 3 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 6 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 7 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 8 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 9 End of an era? Future of Crucial Crew scheme relies on new co-ordinators
- 10 Hitchin Beer & Cider Festival set to make triumphant return
Judi said: "Perry is at national youth standard now.
"I believe he will be a star of the future and I wouldn't promote him if I didn't think he had a real chance of making it."
Perry has now qualified for this year's International Professional Tour (IPT) to take a step nearer in fulfilling one of his ambitions to turn pro by the time he reaches 21.
The six-tour series kicks-off in February in Daventry where he will join around 200 players on the IPT this season.
This will cost around £1,500 so sponsorship is essential.
Dad Norman said: "He has already played England players and given them a run for their money.
"He is doing very well for a 16-year-old and his next ambition is to get into the England youth (under-18) team."
Perry is following in the footsteps of another talented Stevenage pool player in Danny Miller.
Norman added: "Danny has been a big help and influence to Perry and I'm sure he will travel to some of the events with him."
Judi added: "Perry is very much on the same level as Danny and has in fact reached this stage a year earlier."
Please call Norman Gillett on 01438 722011 or 07916 173398 or Judi Collins on 07764 710253 to discuss sponsorship opportunities if you are interested.