Play-off joy for basketballers
The basketballers from MBA Cougars, in partnership with Bedford Lions, have scored a hat-trick. Their under-15s team won the gold medal for winning the Bucks junior basketball league and the gold medal for the play-offs on Sunday in Mandeville Sports Cent
The basketballers from MBA Cougars, in partnership with Bedford Lions, have scored a hat-trick.
Their under-15s team won the gold medal for winning the Bucks junior basketball league and the gold medal for the play-offs on Sunday in Mandeville Sports Centre, Aylesbury.
Already league champions after playing 10 games this season, they went on to play two games on Sunday to decide the winners of the play-offs.
The semi-finals against Beds Knights saw the boys win 23-19. Top scorer was Kenny Kwame scoring six points, and the team was helped to victory by James Clarke at point guard, with his assisting and three point score.
The final was against Shenley and the committed team led all four quarters, with Laurence Levy and James Clarke collecting the first points in a tight first quarter ending with Lions up 4-3.
Second quarter saw the entry of Zac Gibson and Kwame, whose four and two apiece, saw Lions take the score 10-9 at half time.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 9 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 10 Symonds Green development raises the number of social homes in Stevenage
The third quarter battle ended 16-14 to the Lions, with scores from Levy (two), Adrian Akindale, Gibson and Kwame (two).
They tied in the fourth quarter 22-22 (all six points from Kwame) and with only 30 seconds to go on the clock, top scorer for the season Gibson took to the free throw line and nailed his first shot for the lead.
Some resolute defending by the determined Lions either side of a 'time-out' saw them roar to a double victory in their first season together.
MVP for the day was Kwame whose shooting, passing and reactions were of the highest standard.
For information on basketball clinics and 3v3 tournaments this summer in Stevenage, call 01438 351104 or email email@example.com or visit www.myspace.com/mbacougars