Petanque quartet part of history
Local petanque players featured heavily at the annual Home Nations tournament. The English, Scottish and Welsh petanque associations battled it out at Princes Park, the home of Dartford FC. A local quartet were representing the Chiltern Region – Sam Blake
Local petanque players featured heavily at the annual Home Nations tournament.
The English, Scottish and Welsh petanque associations battled it out at Princes Park, the home of Dartford FC.
A local quartet were representing the Chiltern Region - Sam Blakey at 15 years old (Wymondley), along with his three senior team-mates Rob Fox (Stevenage), Toni Gates (Benington) and Matthew Eversden (Baldock) - after a qualifying competition earned the position of England team four.
Around 100 players from the three nations competed to take home the trophy this year and each nation entered eight teams of three or four players.
Princes Park was used to host the competition which rotates between each of the three countries on an annual basis.
The local team, with 11 wins out of 12 games, helped the England squad to an amazing victory.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 3 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 4 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 5 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 9 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 10 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
England were the clear winners with 86 wins, Wales came second with 38 wins and Scotland third on 24 wins.
The English total (86 wins) is a record amount in the history of this competition.