Perfect weather for charity match
There was special weather for a charity game at Hitchin Rugby Club on Saturday afternoon. The fifth annual Robin Thorpe memorial match had perfect weather conditions as the Lymphoma Association rugby team, aka the Periwinkles, played an invitational Hitch
There was special weather for a charity game at Hitchin Rugby Club on Saturday afternoon.
The fifth annual Robin Thorpe memorial match had perfect weather conditions as the Lymphoma Association rugby team, aka the Periwinkles, played an invitational Hitchin team that featured a number of father and son combinations.
The match contained plenty of free-running rugby together with dogged defending, making for an excellent spectacle.
While the Periwinkles led from start to finish thanks to tries from Joe Allison, Rob Willoughby and Rob Glenister, all converted by Glenister, Hitchin were always in contention.
You may also want to watch:
Led admirably by Dale Baines, Hitchin's mix and match team of fathers and sons together with players from every senior side made it close.
Tries by Baines, Adam Shaw and Matt Hawtin, and two conversions from Shaw, meant the score finished 21-19 to the Periwinkles.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 2 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 7 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 Arlesey school recognised with prestigious inclusion award
- 10 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
This follows success at an international tournament in Hampshire and was the final event of the team's fundraising effort for this season.
Squad skipper Karl Thorpe will be handing over £7,000 to the Lymphoma Association.