Parker takes bronze in AAAs
Clifton schoolboy Ryan Parker won bronze in the 3000m race at the AAAs Championships in Birmingham on Sunday. Going into the last lap with Abdi Ahmed in the lead, Ryan (shown above in third) overtook Simon Horsfield who responded by overtaking him as they
Clifton schoolboy Ryan Parker won bronze in the 3000m race at the AAAs Championships in Birmingham on Sunday.
Going into the last lap with Abdi Ahmed in the lead, Ryan (shown above in third) overtook Simon Horsfield who responded by overtaking him as they battled for the finishing line.
Ryan's time was 8:40.95, with Horsfield in 8:38.33 and winner Ahmed in 8:35.79.
The race also included runners from Scotland, Ireland and Wales.
Ryan was invited to run in the under-20 men's 3000m at Crystal Palace on Friday night.
He was the youngest in the race and finished 12th out of 18 but enjoyed signing autographs and rubbing shoulders with the world's top athletes.
- 1 Police warning after distraction thefts in Stevenage and North Herts
- 2 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 3 Bag a bargain for charity! £1.50 per kilo at air ambulance warehouse sale
- 4 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 5 Trial date set for Met police officer from Stevenage accused of rape
- 6 'No action' after sports pavilions demolished
- 7 Can you help golf star Jack on his professional journey?
- 8 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Long lost family of WWII pilot finally found after newspaper appeal
Ryan is competing in the 3000m SEAA Championships at Bedford this Saturday.
Then, a fortnight later, he will represent Bedfordshire in the 1500m under-20 men's SEAA inter-counties championships at Eton.
He has also been selected to represent the Eastern Counties in the UK School Games. Ryan will be travelling to Glasgow on September 7 and it is the first time this event has been staged and it will be televised on the BBC.