Park host national side for first time
Japan s national team prepared for their World Cup qualifying tournament with a training match against an MCC side at Knebworth Park on Tuesday. Chasing the MCC XI s 211, they fail short ending on 199-7. But more importantly all of their squad gained valu
Japan's national team prepared for their World Cup qualifying tournament with a training match against an MCC side at Knebworth Park on Tuesday.
Chasing the MCC XI's 211, they fail short ending on 199-7.
But more importantly all of their squad gained valuable experience in playing on a grass wicket - as all pitches are artificial in Japan and this was only the third time many of them had played on grass.
The qualifying tournament for the World Cup is in Jersey and then the successful teams from there move on to a further stage in seeking entry for the 2011 World Cup.
It was the first time that the Park had hosted a national side or an MCC team.
The match was organised by Tim O'Gorman, the former Derbyshire opening batsman, whose son Joe plays in the club's under-11 team.
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 8 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 9 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist
Former England fast bowler Devon Malcolm who was due to play had to withdraw.