Park host national side for first time
Japan s national team prepared for their World Cup qualifying tournament with a training match against an MCC side at Knebworth Park on Tuesday. Chasing the MCC XI s 211, they fail short ending on 199-7. But more importantly all of their squad gained valu
Japan's national team prepared for their World Cup qualifying tournament with a training match against an MCC side at Knebworth Park on Tuesday.
Chasing the MCC XI's 211, they fail short ending on 199-7.
But more importantly all of their squad gained valuable experience in playing on a grass wicket - as all pitches are artificial in Japan and this was only the third time many of them had played on grass.
The qualifying tournament for the World Cup is in Jersey and then the successful teams from there move on to a further stage in seeking entry for the 2011 World Cup.
You may also want to watch:
It was the first time that the Park had hosted a national side or an MCC team.
The match was organised by Tim O'Gorman, the former Derbyshire opening batsman, whose son Joe plays in the club's under-11 team.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 5 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
Former England fast bowler Devon Malcolm who was due to play had to withdraw.