Pair reach the last sixteen
A PAIR from Riverain Bowls Club reached the last 16 of the national indoor championships. The over-60 pairs of Tony Castle and skip John Crosby won their first match at Northampton against Terry James and skip Bob Pebbutt from Rushden Bowls Club 24-15. Th
A PAIR from Riverain Bowls Club reached the last 16 of the national indoor championships.
The over-60 pairs of Tony Castle and skip John Crosby won their first match at Northampton against Terry James and skip Bob Pebbutt from Rushden Bowls Club 24-15.
This took them into the last 16 where they were beaten by just one shot by Colin Brooks and skip Mike Newman from Whiteknights (16-17).
A full six points were won by the ladies of Riverain in their county league match against Hatfield.
Riverain won by 24 shots (53-29) and their teams were Joyce Rolph, Jackie Milton, Marjorie Emery and skip Pat Goodwin, together with Enid Newman, Mary Cole, Joan Welch and skip Jean Hayward.
There were mixed fortunes in two weekend friendly matches held at Riverain.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 3 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 4 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 5 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 6 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 7 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 8 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 9 Stevenage Armed Forces Day in pictures
- 10 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
They beat Stevenage Nomads by eight shots (157-149).
Skips only: Barbara Clark bt J Alden 21-16, Mick Hyde bt S Hurst 32-8, Barbara Eddington lost to G Edwards 11-30, Sam Skinner lost to J Smith 13-19, Ron Clark bt * Clark 20-12, P Barritt bt M Flack 15-20, Charlie Brown lost to A Budge 18-24, Roy Clay bt R Lock 27-20.
But Riverain were well beaten by 38 shots (84-122) by London Irish.
Skips only: Brian Mills lost 11-24, Dennis Byatt won 17-15, Dave Webb lost 14-22, Roger Shinner lost 16-19, Doug Major lost 8-24, Paul Bryant drew 18-18.
* The indoor bowlers from Stevenage Leisure Centre played another of its trophy matches - the Aldridge Shield - which is a triples competition.
Again played in a gala format, each team played three matches of six ends.
The winners were the team of Muriel Cooper, Nita Harper and Colvin Cooper. The Coopers were also the winners of the previous week's trophy match.
Runners-up were the team of Pam Stacey, Bill Williamson and Ted Stacey.
* Herts IBA easily won their Courtenay Cup league match against Berkshire at Watford IBC last Tuesday.
The county won by 64 shots (167-103) with Riverain's Ray Smith part of the top winning rink (37-11).
Smith and Riverain club colleague David Betts were also part of the top winning rink (25-8) as a Herts county president's select team beat Hatfield by 18 shots (80-62).