Ovens is hot stuff in Scotland
Stevenage darts ace Denis Ovens was beaten by Alex Roy in the final leg of the Scottish Players Championship. Roy claimed a dramatic victory at the Magnum Centre in Irvine to win the £5,000 title – and a Players Championship qualifying place in the Europe
Stevenage darts ace Denis Ovens was beaten by Alex Roy in the final leg of the Scottish Players Championship.
Roy claimed a dramatic victory at the Magnum Centre in Irvine to win the £5,000 title - and a Players Championship qualifying place in the European Championship at the end of the month - while Ovens had to settle for £2,500.
The eventual winner took the final's first set before Ovens won four of the next five legs to lead 2-1 in the game.
Roy won set four without reply, but an 11-darter saw Ovens lead in the deciding set.
Watford-based Roy levelled with a 101 finish to send the match all the way, and a brilliant 161 checkout earned him victory.
Ovens reached his third final of the year with a 3-1 win over Steve Maish in the semi-final, and narrow five-set wins over Wayne Jones, Dave Smith and Mark Dudbridge.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 6 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 7 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 8 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 9 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 10 Stevenage make Danny Rose their fourth signing of the summer
And Ovens followed up Saturday's appearance in the final with a run to the quarter-final of Sunday's competition 24 hours later, where he lost 3-1 to the eventual beaten finalist Mark Walsh.
Walsh edged the final two sets of the match 2-1 against Saturday's runner-up who hit seven perfect darts in one leg.