O’Flaherty is in top form
Ladies hockey Blueharts Ladies put four goals without reply past the second string of Letchworth. Their keeper and captain Nikki Baxter had little to do for the majority of the first half. The first goal came from a free hit on the Letchworth 25-yard lin
Blueharts Ladies put four goals without reply past the second string of Letchworth.
Their keeper and captain Nikki Baxter had little to do for the majority of the first half.
The first goal came from a free hit on the Letchworth 25-yard line, with Claire Bennett passing accurately to Jo O'Flaherty just inside the circle, who flicked the ball with her reverse stick into the bottom right corner.
O'Flaherty was linking up well with Carol Lamey in midfield to feed the ball out both left and right.
The second goal came just before half time, with striker Kerry Ross picking up the ball in the circle and as the keeper slid out, coolly lifting it over her.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
- 3 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 6 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 7 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Faulty lift leaves disabled Stevenage residents forced to climb 12-storey block of flats for six weeks
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Blueharts started the new half how they finished the first with a goal. Debutant Emma Field passed the ball neatly to O'Flaherty, whose shot across the face of the goal was deflected in by a Letchworth stick.
Letchworth worked hard and had a period of possession with a solo run from Lesley Saunders but Bennett was first to the ball to prevent the shot on goal.
Only conceding one short corner was a testament to the whole Blueharts team, while the final goal came from a well-worked corner with a great strike from Ross through the keeper's legs proving her returning form.
O'Flaherty was player of the match for her work ethic, passing and goals.
Stevenage Ladies' second team shared four goals with Royston. Hannah Finch and Steph Fanthorpe scored their goals.
Tash Rose scored a consolation as the fourths lost 2-1 to West Herts in the league.
The fifths were beaten 8-1 by Hertford 4ths (Liz Siddall).