Nurse agrees new contract
STRIKER Jon Nurse has finally put pen to paper and agreed a new contract to stay at Broadhall Way. New Boro boss Mark Stimson finally pursuaded Nurse to sign a two-year contract on Tuesday. Another new face to arrive at the club this week was goalkeeper D
STRIKER Jon Nurse has finally put pen to paper and agreed a new contract to stay at Broadhall Way.
New Boro boss Mark Stimson finally pursuaded Nurse to sign a two-year contract on Tuesday.
Another new face to arrive at the club this week was goalkeeper Danny Potter from Canvey Island.
Potter, who has played for Chelsea, Exeter City and Chelmsford, will be understudy to first choice Alan Julian.
Stimson was delighted with both signings but revealed they will not be the last.
"Jon is a great player, a fast forward who will always score goals," said Stimson.
- 1 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 2 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 3 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 4 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 5 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
- 6 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 7 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 8 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 9 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 10 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
"I have always said to attack is the best form of defence and I have always had attacking sides which entertain.
"I am actively looking for another two strikers, players with a pedigree of scoring goals which will leave a lot of competition for places next season.
"There is no shortage of players out there looking for clubs but I have to work within my budget and get the best for what we can afford.
"They must remember Boro is a club that can give them a great future.
"But I am working 24/7 on the phone talking to players and hopefully before the pre-season friendlies get under way we will start to see new faces around here."
Talking about the signing of Potter, Stimson said: "Alan Julian is a great goalkeeper and he had a fantastic season.
"But we have to have good and reliable cover in that position and Danny Potter will do that job perfectly."
Stimson has ruled out doing any U-turn on the players released by Graham Westley before he finally left the club.
"None of those players are being considered," added Stimson.
This week Boro announced three home pre-season friendlies starting with the visit of Luton Town on Saturday, July 15, kick-off is at 3pm.
Spurs make their annual visit on Tuesday, July 25, with an 8pm kick-off.
Leyton Orient, promoted to League One at the end of last season, come to Broadhall Way on Saturday, July 29, kick-off 3pm.