Nurse agrees new contract
STRIKER Jon Nurse has finally put pen to paper and agreed a new contract to stay at Broadhall Way. New Boro boss Mark Stimson finally pursuaded Nurse to sign a two-year contract on Tuesday. Another new face to arrive at the club this week was goalkeeper D
STRIKER Jon Nurse has finally put pen to paper and agreed a new contract to stay at Broadhall Way.
New Boro boss Mark Stimson finally pursuaded Nurse to sign a two-year contract on Tuesday.
Another new face to arrive at the club this week was goalkeeper Danny Potter from Canvey Island.
Potter, who has played for Chelsea, Exeter City and Chelmsford, will be understudy to first choice Alan Julian.
Stimson was delighted with both signings but revealed they will not be the last.
"Jon is a great player, a fast forward who will always score goals," said Stimson.
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 3 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 6 Stevenage's own Lewis Hamilton grabs third in British GP
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
"I have always said to attack is the best form of defence and I have always had attacking sides which entertain.
"I am actively looking for another two strikers, players with a pedigree of scoring goals which will leave a lot of competition for places next season.
"There is no shortage of players out there looking for clubs but I have to work within my budget and get the best for what we can afford.
"They must remember Boro is a club that can give them a great future.
"But I am working 24/7 on the phone talking to players and hopefully before the pre-season friendlies get under way we will start to see new faces around here."
Talking about the signing of Potter, Stimson said: "Alan Julian is a great goalkeeper and he had a fantastic season.
"But we have to have good and reliable cover in that position and Danny Potter will do that job perfectly."
Stimson has ruled out doing any U-turn on the players released by Graham Westley before he finally left the club.
"None of those players are being considered," added Stimson.
This week Boro announced three home pre-season friendlies starting with the visit of Luton Town on Saturday, July 15, kick-off is at 3pm.
Spurs make their annual visit on Tuesday, July 25, with an 8pm kick-off.
Leyton Orient, promoted to League One at the end of last season, come to Broadhall Way on Saturday, July 29, kick-off 3pm.