Nothing on a par to Jones
Nothing was on a par to a teenager from Chesfield Downs Golf Club in Graveley at the Mercedes-Benz Hertfordshire Golf Challenge. More than 2,000 golfers from 30 clubs teed off in this year s tournament organised by the motor group – the stableford competi
Nothing was on a par to a teenager from Chesfield Downs Golf Club in Graveley at the Mercedes-Benz Hertfordshire Golf Challenge.
More than 2,000 golfers from 30 clubs teed off in this year's tournament organised by the motor group - the stableford competition culminating with a men's and ladies' finals day at Hanbury Manor.
Sam Jones, 17, belied his youth to pip Ian March (The Hertfordshire) by virtue of his score over the first nine holes.
The pair tied and finished one point ahead of East Herts' Jim Nicholson who won both the nearest the pin and longest drive competitions.
You may also want to watch:
The prize for the overall winners of the men's and ladies' competitions is a round of golf on the championship course at Wentworth.
Mark Whitworth, group marketing and CRM manager for the motor retailer, which has a site in Stevenage, said: "This year's Mercedes-Benz Hertfordshire Golf Challenge was bigger and better than our inaugural 2007 competition with six more clubs and 700 more golfers taking part.
- 1 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 2 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 3 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 4 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 5 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 6 Stevenage happy with performance and result against 10-man Crystal Palace
- 7 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 8 £50 supermarket vouchers available to help families entitled to free school meals
- 9 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
"Despite the inclement weather, the tournament has run extremely smoothly and is now not only gaining an excellent reputation on the local golf circuit but also increasing the profile of our business among existing and prospective customers.