Nothing on a par to Jones
Nothing was on a par to a teenager from Chesfield Downs Golf Club in Graveley at the Mercedes-Benz Hertfordshire Golf Challenge. More than 2,000 golfers from 30 clubs teed off in this year s tournament organised by the motor group – the stableford competi
Nothing was on a par to a teenager from Chesfield Downs Golf Club in Graveley at the Mercedes-Benz Hertfordshire Golf Challenge.
More than 2,000 golfers from 30 clubs teed off in this year's tournament organised by the motor group - the stableford competition culminating with a men's and ladies' finals day at Hanbury Manor.
Sam Jones, 17, belied his youth to pip Ian March (The Hertfordshire) by virtue of his score over the first nine holes.
The pair tied and finished one point ahead of East Herts' Jim Nicholson who won both the nearest the pin and longest drive competitions.
The prize for the overall winners of the men's and ladies' competitions is a round of golf on the championship course at Wentworth.
Mark Whitworth, group marketing and CRM manager for the motor retailer, which has a site in Stevenage, said: "This year's Mercedes-Benz Hertfordshire Golf Challenge was bigger and better than our inaugural 2007 competition with six more clubs and 700 more golfers taking part.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 3 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 4 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 5 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 6 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 7 Letchworth Outdoor Pool suffers two break-ins ahead of opening
- 8 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 9 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 10 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
"Despite the inclement weather, the tournament has run extremely smoothly and is now not only gaining an excellent reputation on the local golf circuit but also increasing the profile of our business among existing and prospective customers.