North Herts triumph
Youngsters from North Herts have been toasted after making history at the Herts Youth Games. They brought home the overall girls, boys and district titles at this year s Herts Youth Games for the first time since the games began 14 years ago. The games, w
Youngsters from North Herts have been toasted after making history at the Herts Youth Games.
They brought home the overall girls, boys and district titles at this year's Herts Youth Games for the first time since the games began 14 years ago.
The games, which involve teams selected from local schools and clubs, provide an opportunity for youngsters to represent their district against the others in the county.
The Herts Youth Games, sponsored by the Herts Sports Partnership and the 10 district councils, attracted around 2000 young athletes.
You may also want to watch:
Twenty competitive events took place over two days at the stunning facilities of the Herts Sports Village, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield.
The Victor Ludorum Trophy is the ultimate reward for the winning local authority team - North Herts.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 6 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 9 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 10 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
The games also had the support of guest celebrities Colin Jackson and Alison Mowbray.
Former world record holding 110m hurdler Jackson and Olympic silver medallist rower Mowbray presented medals to the winning teams.
North Herts won gold medals in under-12 mixed badminton and girls' under-14 hockey, silver medals in girls' and boys' under-12 basketball, under-11 girls' kwik cricket and rugby, and a bronze in boccia.
The North Herts teams were funded and organised by North Herts District Council.
Pictured with NHDC chairman Allison Ashley are sports development officers Helen Turner and Kirsten Sparks and some of the children.