North Herts sports stars backed
Talented athletes and coaches have been awarded grants totalling £5,000 by North Herts District Council. Successful applicants include county level cricket and badminton players, a swimmer competing for the region and a national standard pole vaulter. Fat
Talented athletes and coaches have been awarded grants totalling £5,000 by North Herts District Council.
Successful applicants include county level cricket and badminton players, a swimmer competing for the region and a national standard pole vaulter.
Father and daughter Michael and Louise Shortland from Stevenage and North Herts AC are included.
Louise is competing nationally in the pole vault and Michael is undertaking level three athletics coaching.
The grants are administered twice a year through the Sport North Herts Community Sports Network.
Chairman of Sport North Herts, Ken Charles, said: "We admire the enormous commitment and effort that our most able young performers have undertaken and the Sport North Herts grant is intended to encourage and respect their achievements."
- 1 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 4 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 5 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 6 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 7 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 8 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 9 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 10 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
Cllr Tricia Gibbs, the district council's portfolio holder responsible for grants, added: "The council is very pleased to be supporting our talented residents and we look forward to toasting an Olympic champion in future years."
The next round of sports grants opens in November 2008. More information can be obtained from the children's services team at NHDC on 01462 474000.