North Herts sports stars backed
Talented athletes and coaches have been awarded grants totalling £5,000 by North Herts District Council. Successful applicants include county level cricket and badminton players, a swimmer competing for the region and a national standard pole vaulter. Fat
Talented athletes and coaches have been awarded grants totalling £5,000 by North Herts District Council.
Successful applicants include county level cricket and badminton players, a swimmer competing for the region and a national standard pole vaulter.
Father and daughter Michael and Louise Shortland from Stevenage and North Herts AC are included.
Louise is competing nationally in the pole vault and Michael is undertaking level three athletics coaching.
You may also want to watch:
The grants are administered twice a year through the Sport North Herts Community Sports Network.
Chairman of Sport North Herts, Ken Charles, said: "We admire the enormous commitment and effort that our most able young performers have undertaken and the Sport North Herts grant is intended to encourage and respect their achievements."
- 1 Body found in search for missing woman
- 2 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 3 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 4 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 5 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 6 Government curbs council's powers to block new homes
- 7 Professional artist born out of school lockdown project
- 8 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 9 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 10 See inside this beautiful Edwardian property fit for a multi-millionaire
Cllr Tricia Gibbs, the district council's portfolio holder responsible for grants, added: "The council is very pleased to be supporting our talented residents and we look forward to toasting an Olympic champion in future years."
The next round of sports grants opens in November 2008. More information can be obtained from the children's services team at NHDC on 01462 474000.