North Herts sports stars backed
Talented athletes and coaches have been awarded grants totalling £5,000 by North Herts District Council. Successful applicants include county level cricket and badminton players, a swimmer competing for the region and a national standard pole vaulter. Fat
Talented athletes and coaches have been awarded grants totalling £5,000 by North Herts District Council.
Successful applicants include county level cricket and badminton players, a swimmer competing for the region and a national standard pole vaulter.
Father and daughter Michael and Louise Shortland from Stevenage and North Herts AC are included.
Louise is competing nationally in the pole vault and Michael is undertaking level three athletics coaching.
The grants are administered twice a year through the Sport North Herts Community Sports Network.
Chairman of Sport North Herts, Ken Charles, said: "We admire the enormous commitment and effort that our most able young performers have undertaken and the Sport North Herts grant is intended to encourage and respect their achievements."
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 6 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 7 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 10 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
Cllr Tricia Gibbs, the district council's portfolio holder responsible for grants, added: "The council is very pleased to be supporting our talented residents and we look forward to toasting an Olympic champion in future years."
The next round of sports grants opens in November 2008. More information can be obtained from the children's services team at NHDC on 01462 474000.