Noah's a fast learner at Marriotts
It has been a busy time for the gymnasts from the Marriotts club in Stevenage. Jack Maydom put in a strong performance on all six pieces on Saturday at the Eastern Region Men s Championships in Ipswich to finish fifth in the under-16 competition. His stro
It has been a busy time for the gymnasts from the Marriotts club in Stevenage.
Jack Maydom put in a strong performance on all six pieces on Saturday at the Eastern Region Men's Championships in Ipswich to finish fifth in the under-16 competition. His strongest performance was on vault with a score of 13.60.
In the under-12 competition, Sebastian Jaunzens finished in eighth place overall, and but for some uncharacteristic errors in his floor routine, might have finished in the medals.
The under-10 section saw Noah Hume compete on floor and vault. Noah will still be in this age group next year, and was gaining valuable experience at a higher level.
Sunday saw another day of competition at Marriotts with the girls' recreational apparatus competition (and regional qualifier).
All of the Marriotts gymnasts were entering their first gymnastics competition. The top five on each apparatus and in each age group go forward to the regional final in a few weeks' time.
- 1 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 4 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 5 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 6 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 7 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 8 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 9 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 10 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
There were no medals in the eight to 10 year age group, but the Marriotts gymnasts all put in good performances. Chloe Sampford, Charlotte Miller, Jaymie Younger, Amy Semple and Martha Huggins represented the club at this level.
The afternoon session saw success for the older gymnasts in the 11 to 12 year age group.
Maria Magpantay took gold on bars and beam, and also qualified through to the regional final on vault and floor.
Emily Bolton was third on vault and qualified to the regional final in fourth place on bars, while Chloe Rogers took third on beam and qualified fourth on bars. Caiomhe Captain took fifth on vault and beam to qualify to the regional final, and Jessica Harvey finished eighth in the floor competition.
The previous week, some of the club's advanced female gymnasts had also been in action at Ipswich.
In the regional level four competition, Talia Francis took silver in the level four floor competition.
Both Corey Williams (level four) and Emma Chambers (level three) also qualified to the regional finals.
Although not among the overall medals, all three gymnasts should be proud of their achievement in qualifying for the regional finals.