New signings impress as Hitchin hold Stevenage to a draw
- Credit: Archant
Blair Turgott scored a fine individual effort to rescue a draw for Stevenage at Hitchin Town on Saturday, writes Damion Roberts.
It was Boro’s first match of pre-season and Hitchin’s second, and it gave both sides the opportunity to shake off some cobwebs.
Stevenage edged the first half but had little to show for it, except for a Luke Wilkinson header straight at keeper Michael Johnson.
Hitchin had trialists Danny Clifton and Elijah McDonald in their starting XI, but it was Trey Charles who fired them ahead on 65 minutes with a powerful shot from a tight angle.
Turgott then picked up the ball inside his own half and made a run for the box, hitting a deflected effort past Johnson to make it all even.
You may also want to watch:
Charles, who was at Colney Heath last season, was a real thorn in Boro’s side throughout the second period and almost won them the game but for a fingertip save from Stevenage keeper Chris Day.
- 1 Plans for new block of flats on Matalan site gets green light
- 2 Dangerous rogue gas fitter handed suspended prison sentence
- 3 'Please just give us the COVID-19 vaccine,' pleads headteacher as schools reopen
- 4 Staff member left shaken after attempted armed robbery at village store
- 5 Boxing promoter Frank Warren praises Stevenage's Lister Hospital staff after COVID-19 battle
- 6 Body found in search for missing woman
- 7 International Women's Day: A homage to those who have inspired us this year
- 8 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 9 Stevenage FC provides new location for Feed Up Warm Up drop-in
- 10 Missing Stevenage teen found