Narrow win keeps Stotfold out in front
Stotfold 1 Cogenhoe 0 Stotfold won by a single goal to strengthen their claims for the UCL Premier Division title. It was a solid all-round performance as three points against a team like Cogenhoe are always well earned. Louis Lee had their first good cha
Stotfold 1 Cogenhoe 0
Stotfold won by a single goal to strengthen their claims for the UCL Premier Division title.
It was a solid all-round performance as three points against a team like Cogenhoe are always well earned.
Louis Lee had their first good chance of the afternoon with his glancing header, from Lee Allinson's free-kick on the left, just going wide of the bottom of the far post.
Rob Foster should have done better for the visitors shortly after, putting his free-kick from the corner of the box wide.
Paul Donnelly's superb cross from the left was headed wide by Callum Donnelly on the right of the box on 10 minutes, with Joel Mason also striking over and Luke Donnelly's ball driven across the face of goal cleared by Adam Knight before it could be turned in.
- 1 Man threatened partner with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 3 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 4 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 5 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 6 Prince Charles and Camilla to star in special EastEnders Jubilee episode filmed in Hertfordshire
- 7 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
What turned out to be the winning goal came on 26 minutes.
Paul Donnelly's first goal of the season and one to remember came from a short corner that was put into the box by Garrett but only cleared as far as Donnelly.
From 25 yards out, and in the middle of the pitch, the sweetest of strikes rocketed through the box and into the back of the net leaving keeper Darren Watts stunned.
Mason came closest to doubling the lead at the end of the half from Allinson's header forward, quickly turning goalwards and shooting across the face of goal in one swift movement.
The start of the second half saw a couple of Garrett free-kicks from good positions, the first comfortably collected by Watts and the second going over the bar.
Cogenhoe seemed to push more players forward in the half but lacked any real conviction.
A deflected cross from Dan Thomason and Ben Holley's low shot wide from distance were their only worthy opportunities.
Allinson's shot from a Cogenhoe clearance was almost deflected into the top corner and with a few minutes to go, his free-kick from the touchline was touched into the goalkeeper's chest at the near post.
Rokermen: Gillham, Bryant, P Donnelly, Shambrook, Juneja, Lee, C Donnelly (Case), L Donnelly, Mason (Douglas), Allinson, Garrett (A Fehmi).