Muddy fine season for the Stags
Stevenage Town Rugby Club chairman Steve Mudd is basking in the glory of a momentous season. While the first XV remained unbeaten in winning the London Three North West this season, the next generation have also been hugely successful. Mudd said: To say
Stevenage Town Rugby Club chairman Steve Mudd is basking in the glory of a momentous season.
While the first XV remained unbeaten in winning the London Three North West this season, the next generation have also been hugely successful.
Mudd said: "To say this season has been successful would be an understatement.
"To achieve promotion unbeaten in such a competitive league and reach the county finals for the third successive year is a great testament to the dedication and hard work of our coach Terry Penny, our captain Neil Bamber and all the first team squad.
You may also want to watch:
"Next year will mean another step up in commitment throughout and we hope to strengthen the depth of the senior squad with more local talent emerging from the colts and the under-17s.
"Our youth development programme is now bearing fruit with the colts reaching the county trophy final being beaten by Welwyn, but not without a fight. And our under-17s are now county trophy champions after beating Letchworth in a hard-fought nail-biting game.
- 1 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 2 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 3 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 4 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 5 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 6 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 7 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 8 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 9 Fit for a Queen! A look back at Stevenage's royal visits
- 10 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
"Both bode well for the near future with four colts regularly playing in the senior first XV and representing the county at under-20 and under-23 level.
"The weekend also saw our under-12s reach the county final for their age group, before being narrowly beaten by Bishop's Stortford."
And Mudd admitted: "Our greatest challenge for the whole club in the very near future is trying to accommodate all our activities, while continually promoting the game of rugby. Although we hope to be in a position to finalise our relocation to a new site in partnership with Stevenage Borough Council.