STATESIDE visitors have been warmly welcomed in North Herts this week. The under-14 girls from Monument Soccer Club in Bennington, Vermont, played an international friendly in Stevenage on Easter Sunday. The Americans met Stevenage Boro Juniors under-14 g
STATESIDE visitors have been warmly welcomed in North Herts this week.
The under-14 girls from Monument Soccer Club in Bennington, Vermont, played an international friendly in Stevenage on Easter Sunday.
The Americans met Stevenage Boro Juniors under-14 girls at Shephalbury in a well-contested game.
It ended in a 1-1 draw to send all the supporters away happy.
The match was attended by town mayor Brian Underwood and was sponsored by the Stevenage Sports Council.
Other businesses that supported the day were A1 trophies, David Lloyd Fitness Centre and Stevenage Boro Football Club.
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 3 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 4 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 5 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 6 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 7 Prince Charles and Camilla to star in special EastEnders Jubilee episode filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
After the girls had battled it out on the field for 70 minutes, the day continued with an after game presentation evening at the Broadhall Suite.
The girls of both teams were also invited to play on the pitch at Broadhall Way during half time of Stevenage Boro versus Crawley Town on Easter Monday.
Plans for the fixture had started back in October after Boro were contacted by the tourists.
Dave Potter, manager of Stevenage Boro under-14s, said: "This was a great two days for girls' football and the girls and parents from both teams.
"I hope they will all remember this for a long time to come. We are also looking into a possible return match next year with Stevenage Boro Juniors visiting America."
Stevenage Boro: Danielle Flood, Olivia Pearce, Georgia Adamson, Chloe Bullard, Hannah Mead, Ikera Williams, Rachel Janes, Tayla Huckle, Sarah Potter, Hannah Marshall, Chloe Bradford, Amy Notschild, Laura Hamilton-Chapman, Nataha Wilson.
Monument Soccer Club: Alysha Bowen, Melissa Schramm, Kristin Carra, Jessica Davis, Breanne Ghidotti, Jocelyn Kraenzle, Elise Seyferth, Becky Levine, Alyssa Dufresne, Amanda Martin, Ashley McLenithan, Shelby Silver, Michaela Lemieux, Ashley Glanovsky, Megan Pini.
* The American girls are also playing Letchworth GC Eagles under-14s girls tonight (Thursday).
The match is at 7.30pm at the County Ground in Letchworth. Admission is free.
Letchworth are in need of young female players of all abilities for the 2006-7 season (next year's school years nine and 10).
Please email: email@example.com