Men go so near
The men from Hertfordshire just failed to defend their national tennis title. The 111th annual inter-county tennis championships are better known as County Week . Each county fields a team of nine players for the week. Each team is in a division of six,
The men from Hertfordshire just failed to defend their national tennis title.
The 111th annual inter-county tennis championships are better known as 'County Week'.
Each county fields a team of nine players for the week.
Each team is in a division of six, and plays each of the other five teams from Monday to Friday.
Herts men were in group one at Eastbourne defending their championship title from last year.
Group one contains teams packed with the top players in England.
- 1 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 4 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 5 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 6 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 7 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 8 £3k thank you to Lister for pregnant wife's bleed on brain care
- 9 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 10 Hitchin Boys head to National Athletics Final
Despite winning each match in the run up to Friday, they were squeezed out by Yorkshire for the title and finished as runners-up.
Stevenage's Neil Roskilly was part of the Herts team.
Hitchin's Arvind Parmar was also nominated for the team but he had a successful run in the Nottingham challenger and was not able to make it down to Eastbourne before the week was over.
Jeff Wayne, who has produced and is currently promoting the music to War of the Worlds, was the captain.
Their scores were (Monday to Friday): beat Kent 6-3, beat Cheshire 6-3, beat North of Scotland 6-3, beat Derbyshire 5-4, lost to Yorkshire 2-5.
Herts will now have both men's and ladies' teams in the top flight division for 2007 after Herts Ladies won promotion to group one. The ladies were in Worthing and saw off the opposition to gain their third successive promotion.