Marriott's schoolgirl Tala Clarke claims English Schools Golf Association U16 Championship
- Credit: MATT CLARKE
A schoolgirl from Stevenage has claimed a huge victory in a national golf tournament.
Tala Clarke, who attends Marriott's School and is an active member at Knebworth Golf Club, took the title in the English Schools Golf Association U16 Championship.
Played at Walsall, she finished the two-round tournament with a score of 161 following rounds of 82 and 79.
With hard and fast greens and difficult to access pin positions, she ended up taking the title ahead of Olivia Whittle of Staffordshire.
Sian Pickford, a second Stevenage pupil who plays out of Knebworth but goes to Nobel School, hit a combined score of 173, good enough for ninth.
Clarke said: "The course was set up really difficult to play so I was really surprised but delighted to discover I had won.
"I am now really looking forward to playing for England schools against Wales later this month."
- 1 Rishi Sunak visits Stevenage as £900m investment in life sciences campus announced
- 2 Terminally ill Ricky's 'Costa Del Nidge' pool party to help others
- 3 Stevenage teenagers charged following incident at The Hyde
- 4 14-year-old Stevenage girl missing
- 5 Hitchin & Harpenden MP Bim Afolami resigns as Tory vice chair live on air
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 14 bank cards stolen due to ATM fraud
- 8 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 9 Nursery with 'unrivalled passion' marks 80th anniversary
- 10 North East Herts MP declares 'loss of confidence' in PM
That international match with Wales U19s takes place over the bank holiday weekend, starting on August 29, at The Rolls of Monmouth Golf Club.