Marriott's schoolgirl Tala Clarke claims English Schools Golf Association U16 Championship
- Credit: MATT CLARKE
A schoolgirl from Stevenage has claimed a huge victory in a national golf tournament.
Tala Clarke, who attends Marriott's School and is an active member at Knebworth Golf Club, took the title in the English Schools Golf Association U16 Championship.
Played at Walsall, she finished the two-round tournament with a score of 161 following rounds of 82 and 79.
With hard and fast greens and difficult to access pin positions, she ended up taking the title ahead of Olivia Whittle of Staffordshire.
Sian Pickford, a second Stevenage pupil who plays out of Knebworth but goes to Nobel School, hit a combined score of 173, good enough for ninth.
Clarke said: "The course was set up really difficult to play so I was really surprised but delighted to discover I had won.
"I am now really looking forward to playing for England schools against Wales later this month."
- 1 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 2 Medical spa at the front of breaking down taboos about cosmetic treatments opens in Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 4 CCTV appeal after distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 5 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 6 Have your say on future of Stevenage High Street
- 7 Youths to be questioned by police in connection with fountain foam
- 8 What you need to know about the changing divorce laws
- 9 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 10 Woman suffers cuts and bruises in pub glassing
That international match with Wales U19s takes place over the bank holiday weekend, starting on August 29, at The Rolls of Monmouth Golf Club.