Young shuttler selected for England badminton squad
- Credit: Amfily Photography
A Letchworth-based badminton talent has been re-selected for the England pathway programme.
Shuttler Saghana Thayaparan, 12, has been chosen to play at national level with three others in her age group, going through numerous trials to make it to the final four.
The Hitchin Girls' student, who is heading into Year 8 this month, has been travelling up to Milton Keynes five times a week to train, in a bid to maintain her England place that she'd held last season.
She told the Comet: "I'm glad to be selected for the England pathway programme again. My dedication to badminton is paying off. I am looking forward to working hard to get selected for U15 European."
The youngster has dedicated her summer break to gaining her place at the top of her craft, where she currently ranks in third in her age group in the country - and in matches, is often playing people years her senior.
You may also want to watch:
She is currently third in England for her age group and is training 14 hours on and off court - and in matches, often playing people years her senior.
- 1 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 2 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 3 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 4 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 5 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 6 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 9 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre