Pride in defeat for Letchworth's young Legends
- Credit: LETCHWORTH RUGBY
Letchworth Rugby Club's successful season couldn't stretch down to the junior section - but there were still plenty of positives for the U14s in a county final.
The young Legends were edged out 22-15 as Tabard claimed the Herts Junior County Shield at Old Albanian.
But despite the result, the team can look back on a great year which got better and better as the months went by, culminating in an extra-time win over Watford in the quarter-final and an impressive 60-plus points haul in the semi-final success against Cheshunt.
They trailed 14-5 at half-time, skipper Josh Baguley getting their try, and the conceded the first points of the second half to fall 17-5 behind.
But although they would concede another try, efforts from Tom Groombridge, assisted brilliantly by Zach Wallace and Jake Azzopardi, and then Azzopardi himself got them back to within a converted score.
There was to be no late drama but coach Matt Crone was still delighted with the performance.
He said: "First of all I would like to say a huge thank you to all the parents for all their support today. You were immense.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 3 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 6 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 7 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 8 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 9 End of an era? Future of Crucial Crew scheme relies on new co-ordinators
- 10 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
"Then a massive thank you to the team. Proud does not truly describe my feelings. Although we lost, I would say we won this season.
"From the team that played the first game of the year to today, the difference is amazing."