Letchworth's Leona back in action after lockdown badminton hiatus
- Credit: Supplied
England's number one U17 badminton player Leona Lee is back competing after a 15-month hiatus due to lockdown.
Leona, who is 16 and from Letchworth, played her first Badminton England tournament in the U19 Gold Birmingham 2021 and won silver in the gold star singles event. Two weeks later she was seeded number one in both gold star singles and girls doubles in the U17 Gold Birmingham 2021.
She powered her way through to reach both finals by not dropping a single game throughout the tournament, clinched the singles title and won her second gold with doubles partner Chloe Dennis from Suffolk.
Her next tournament is the Senior Gold Milton Keynes 2021, and she is aiming for a place in the U19 World Junior Championships in China in October.
Leona, who attends Hitchin Girls' and is a Victor-sponsored athlete, said: "I have been training extremely hard since March and I can see the good results I am achieving from my last two tournaments.
You may also want to watch:
"I would like to thank SportsAid for their continued financial support and North Herts leisure centre for giving me free access to courts for my training and the use of their state of the art gym”.
- 1 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 8 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays