Letchworth are back in action
LETCHWORTH Ladies returned to East Premier League action after the mid-winter break. The ladies earned a hard-fought 0-0 draw against a determined Wisbech side. Both teams started the game at a high tempo with the game flowing from end to end. Rachel Will
LETCHWORTH Ladies returned to East Premier League action after the mid-winter break.
The ladies earned a hard-fought 0-0 draw against a determined Wisbech side.
Both teams started the game at a high tempo with the game flowing from end to end.
Rachel Williams, Charlie Gibson and Leonie Cherry all worked the visitors' defence as Letchworth had the better of the attacking play in the opening 20 minutes.
Keeper Emily Whiting was twice forced into fine saves before half time though.
The second half became a more rugged affair as legs tired and both teams realised that a single goal was likely to decide the game.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 6 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 7 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 8 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 9 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 10 Stevenage make Danny Rose their fourth signing of the summer
With Cindy Dixon and Julie Nicholson both in outstanding form in the Letchworth defence and few clear-cut chances at the other end, honours ended even.
The teams, just one place apart in the league, were content to share the points.
Letchworth are at home again this Saturday against Thurrock (1.30pm at Whitethorn Lane).
Other scores: Letchworth Ladies II 0 Blueharts 2, Letchworth Ladies III 4 Tring II 2.
Stevenage Ladies were thrashed 5-0 by top of the table West Herts, leaving them mid-table in the East League Division Two South.
The seconds won 5-1 at Bedford thirds.
Play was even for the first part of the opening half, until a winding run from Maria Perrazzolli down the right wing resulted in a goal.
Stevenage continued to pressurise, eventually resulting in a goal from a top of the D strike by Tash Howe.
In the second half, Stevenage kept the ball well and increased their lead to 3-0 through a back post sweep by Harriet Richards.
A free hit on the edge of the D resulted in Perrazzolli's second and a rebound off the keeper gave Nicola Biggs the chance to increase the lead.
Bedford's consolation goal came 10 minutes from the end of play.
Goalkeeper Hillary Holmes and defender Kayleigh Biggs were unlucky to prevent the strike from crossing the line.
Other scores: Stevenage III 1 (Sam Franklin) Welwyn II 6, Stevenage IV 0 Harpenden III 1.
Letchworth's men were playing friendlies and their first team drew 1-1 at West Herts seconds.
Other scores: Southgate Adelaide 4 Letchworth II 6, Southgate Adelaide II 1 Letchworth III 4, Letchworth IV 2 Royston III 3.