More medals added to the collection for badminton star Leona Lee
- Credit: VIKKI LEE
Letchworth's badminton superstar Leona Lee endured a tough battle to land two silvers and a bronze at the U19 English Championships.
Held over three days at National Badminton Centre in Milton Keynes, the 16-year-old was playing an age group up and battled through to the final with a win in a epic match against number one seed Estelle Van Leeuwen.
It came in three-sets after Lee had lost the first set, triumphing 14-21 21-9 21-16.
The final also went to three sets this time Lee went down despite winning the first set, losing to 18-year-old second seed Gauri Shidhaye 21-15 12-21 17-21.
Her second silver came in the doubles with unseeded mixed partner Nathan Moore.
They lost to the number one seeds in the final Before Lee joined regular doubles partner Abigail Hong to pick up bronze.
Lee said: "It was physically demanding and it became mentally challenging as well when I grew tired on finals day.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 8 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 9 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf
"But I am extremely happy and delighted that I did so well."