Laura orienteers for England
A TEENAGER from Letchworth GC represented her country in an international orienteering competition in Germany. Laura Parkes, 13, travelled to Münster-Handorf to run as a reserve for England at Interland 2006. Interland is an annual orienteering competitio
A TEENAGER from Letchworth GC represented her country in an international orienteering competition in Germany.
Laura Parkes, 13, travelled to Münster-Handorf to run as a reserve for England at Interland 2006.
Interland is an annual orienteering competition between England, Belgium, host country Germany and the Netherlands.
Runners were selected from across England based on their performance in a number of selection races.
Laura (shown left), from Fearnhill School and a member of Happy Herts Orienteering Club, was one of five English youngsters - although her score did not count - in the women's 13-14 category.
She performed admirably during the competition to finish fourth overall and beat three of her team-mates.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 6 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 9 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 10 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
Laura, who completed the 3.8k course in 33:02, said: "I had a really good run with no mistakes.
"Later this year I'll be competing at the British Championships and hope to get selected for a training tour in Scotland this summer."
England won the competition convincingly finishing with 176 points compared to runners-up Belgium on 123 points.
For more information on how to get involved with orienteering, please see the website www.happyherts.org.uk