Late goals in vain
Stotfold were beaten by the odd goal in five at Cogenhoe despite a late comeback. Despite the good chances created in the first half, it was only Dave Drury s shot from distance that troubled the Cooks keeper Darren Watts 10 minutes before the break. Afte
Stotfold were beaten by the odd goal in five at Cogenhoe despite a late comeback.
Despite the good chances created in the first half, it was only Dave Drury's shot from distance that troubled the Cooks keeper Darren Watts 10 minutes before the break.
After missing the target when being put clean through and denied by a good stop from Nigel Blower earlier, Steve Diggin found the back of the net on 28 minutes when he volleyed home.
At the start of the second half, good work from Wes Byrne gave Ricky Case an opportunity to level but his shot was blocked on the line and cleared to safety.
You may also want to watch:
Three minutes later, Cogenhoe doubled their lead when a good run down the right and cross to the far post was tapped in by Fazell Kuria.
The third came seven minutes later when captain Richard Bunting fired in a ball cut back from the left-hand side of goal.
- 1 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
A ricocheted ball from Rob Goldring was calmly cleared off the line by sub Simon Drury and Dan Brown's shot on the turn came off the crossbar before Stotfold retaliated.
They pulled one back when John Vooght was held back and Dave Drury fired the free-kick over the wall and past the static keeper three minutes from time.
It became 3-2 two minutes later when Case's cross saw Dave Drury hit the upright and sub Joe Philbin was in the right place to stop the ball from going behind and work it round the post into the goal.
The Rokermen travel to second placed Boston this Saturday.
Rokermen: Blower, Nichol, D Drury, Kennoy, Juneja (S Drury), Taylor, Donnelly (Philbin), Guile (Hull), Byrne, Vooght, Case.
Langford were thrashed 7-0 at Chalfont St Peter but Arlesey Athletic won 5-3 at Winslow United.