Late goal sees Stotfold exit Beds Senior Cup
Stotfold put up a good fight before losing 1-0 at Dunstable Town in the Beds Senior Cup quarter-finals on Tuesday night. For large spells of the tie, Stotfold were a match for the Southern League side who are currently sixth in their league. Callum Donnel
Stotfold put up a good fight before losing 1-0 at Dunstable Town in the Beds Senior Cup quarter-finals on Tuesday night.
For large spells of the tie, Stotfold were a match for the Southern League side who are currently sixth in their league.
Callum Donnelly tested keeper Paul Taylor early on with a strike from the left-hand side of the box.
Then Bobby Dance's ball over the top allowed Ian Thorne a clear run at goal before he was clattered on the edge of the box by the oncoming keeper.
The resulting free-kick on 10 minutes was set up for Nicholl to blast but the shot was well closed down.
Dance had a low shot saved after making himself space on the edge of the box and Donnelly came a little closer by forcing the keeper to tip the ball over after his dipping shot from the left.
- 1 Bag a bargain for charity! £1.50 per kilo at air ambulance warehouse sale
- 2 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 3 'No action' after sports pavilions demolished
- 4 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 5 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 6 Can you help golf star Jack on his professional journey?
- 7 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 8 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 9 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 10 Standalone Farm to reopen with host of activities in time for half term
Despite getting into good positions, the home team did not force a save out of Nigel Blower until the 34th minute when he had to tip Stuart Strange's shot through a crowded box wide.
Dance flicked Nicholl's corner just over the bar at the near post at the start of the second half, while Louis Lee's cross to the far post was headed into the side netting by Tawhid Juneja.
A straight red card for Matt Baldry on 78 minutes, for what looked like nothing more than a raised arm against Lee, seemed a bit harsh.
Stotfold did not make their advantage pay and from a low corner on the right and following a bit of a scramble, Dean Buss stabbed the ball over the line seven minutes from time.
This earns Dunstable a semi-final trip to either Biggleswade Town or Arlesey Town who were playing last night (Wednesday).
Rokermen: Blower, Nicholl, Kennoy, Hull, Juneja, Drury, Lee, Thorne (Philbin), Hemmell (Taylor), Dance, Donnelly.