Late goal sees Stotfold exit Beds Senior Cup
Stotfold put up a good fight before losing 1-0 at Dunstable Town in the Beds Senior Cup quarter-finals on Tuesday night. For large spells of the tie, Stotfold were a match for the Southern League side who are currently sixth in their league. Callum Donnel
Stotfold put up a good fight before losing 1-0 at Dunstable Town in the Beds Senior Cup quarter-finals on Tuesday night.
For large spells of the tie, Stotfold were a match for the Southern League side who are currently sixth in their league.
Callum Donnelly tested keeper Paul Taylor early on with a strike from the left-hand side of the box.
Then Bobby Dance's ball over the top allowed Ian Thorne a clear run at goal before he was clattered on the edge of the box by the oncoming keeper.
You may also want to watch:
The resulting free-kick on 10 minutes was set up for Nicholl to blast but the shot was well closed down.
Dance had a low shot saved after making himself space on the edge of the box and Donnelly came a little closer by forcing the keeper to tip the ball over after his dipping shot from the left.
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 8 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 9 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 10 You Me At Six to play headline show at Hatfield's Slam Dunk Festival site
Despite getting into good positions, the home team did not force a save out of Nigel Blower until the 34th minute when he had to tip Stuart Strange's shot through a crowded box wide.
Dance flicked Nicholl's corner just over the bar at the near post at the start of the second half, while Louis Lee's cross to the far post was headed into the side netting by Tawhid Juneja.
A straight red card for Matt Baldry on 78 minutes, for what looked like nothing more than a raised arm against Lee, seemed a bit harsh.
Stotfold did not make their advantage pay and from a low corner on the right and following a bit of a scramble, Dean Buss stabbed the ball over the line seven minutes from time.
This earns Dunstable a semi-final trip to either Biggleswade Town or Arlesey Town who were playing last night (Wednesday).
Rokermen: Blower, Nicholl, Kennoy, Hull, Juneja, Drury, Lee, Thorne (Philbin), Hemmell (Taylor), Dance, Donnelly.