Ladies fall short at Wisbech despite Kumar’s scorcher

Claire Dainton

Claire Dainton - Credit: Archant

Blueharts Hockey Club latest, including Claire Dainton (pictured) helping 2nds to win over Leighton Buzzard

Amanda Donnachie

Amanda Donnachie - Credit: Archant

Across Blueharts Hockey Club there were four wins, four loses and a draw at the weekend.

Ladies’ results

The 1sts were away at Wisbech and although they had a couple of early chances it seemed as though they had left their fighting spirit in Hitchin.

Wisbech scored three times to lead at the break 3-0, and although Blueharts captain Caz Kumar scored a scorching goal in the second half in an attempt to reinvigorate her side the match finished 4-1.

You may also want to watch:

The 1sts are away at Royston this weekend.

The 2nds welcomed Leighton Buzzard to Hitchin for a top-of-the-table clash.

Most Read

The 2nds came out strong from the start with a solid team performance. Rosie Ross was first on the scoresheet, picking up a rebound from Lizzie Bayley. Tamzin Wright then made it two after working the ball around the Leighton keeper.

Leighton had several counter-attacks and short corners but failed to get through the 2nds’ defence, with man-of-the-Match Lou Pillar keeping the Blues in the lead with a couple of fantastic goal clearances.

Blueharts played a quick passing game in the second half and the pressure paid off when they won a short corner in the last minute of play and Claire Dainton smashed it home for 3-0. The result keeps the team top of Five Counties Division One.

The 3rds were at home against Bishop’s Stortford and led 3-0 at the break with goals from Amanda Donnachie, Jo Gibson and Niamh Krishman.

The visitors managed to score from a short corner making it 3-1 before Donnachie scored again to make sure of the three points.

The result keeps the side top of Five Counties Division Two.

The 4ths’ winning streak came to an end as they lost 3-0 at Royston 3rds.

They started the match without any substitutes, while consistent scorer Gina Joseph was unavailable.

Youngsters Mia Luk and Sophie Taylor shone from the outset on the right, but although Blueharts had chances they were unable to get back on level terms and Royston added two more goals.

Men’s results

Never mind Black Friday, Blueharts’ men’s 1sts had a very black Saturday as they were out-played from start to finish against Dereham, losing 7-1.

It was a below-par performance against a team they should be able to compete with.

The single ray of light came when Paul Krishman scored in his last appearance for the 1sts.

The 1sts are next in action on December 12 at home to Havering.

The 2nds were away to Bedford. A sluggish start saw the Blues concede an early penalty flick which was saved by agile goalkeeper James Bates.

The visitors grew into the game with the defence holding off Bedford’s attacks and they began the second half with speed and commitment.

A loose ball was pounced on in midfield and was shifted down the line for Harry Sampson to put them ahead, but tired legs and minds started to take effect as they collected three cards and had to play a large chunk of the second half with 10 men.

Bedford equalised with a well-built attack and goal and then, following a string of short corners, scored off a deflection to take the win.

The defeat saw Blueharts slip to second in the league.

The 3rds were at home to Hertford in what turned out to be a thrilling end-to-end game.

They put in their best passing display of the season to win 6-4, but they had to do so after conceding first.

The Blues came back strong with Phil Britton conjuring up a flick before Rob MacDonald’s first goal of the season took a deflection into the roof of the net.

Craig White then scored a brace - the first was a great one-two move with Ben Philipson, and the second was a drag flick short corner.

Rob Clark and Philipson tormented the defenders all game and were rewarded for their tireless running with a goal each taking the final tally to 6-4. The 3rds take on league leaders Southgate Adelaide next week, knowing that a win will put them in the top spot for Christmas.

The 4ths were away to Bedford. Both sides failed to convert early chances but eventually a cracking strike from John Morris put the 4ths into the lead.

Bedford then equalised from a short corner before the end of the half, and no further goals were added as the match finished 1-1.

The 5ths’ fixture was postponed. They face Welwyn at home this weekend.

The 6ths had a much needed win and revival at home against Southgate Adelaide.

Simple passing led to the first goal by Jay Pandit before Ashley Hammond added a second before half-time.

Blueharts allowed Southgate back into the game with a goal being conceded on the break.

Hammond scored again to make it 3-1 with the visitors on target just before the final whistle to make it 3-2.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus