Ladies do the club proud
The lady bowlers from Riverain have created history by winning their first ever national trophy. They won the Vivienne Trophy final at Desborough, Northants, on Sunday by beating Teignbridge in a close match by seven shots (88-81). The team of Enid Newman
The lady bowlers from Riverain have created history by winning their first ever national trophy.
They won the Vivienne Trophy final at Desborough, Northants, on Sunday by beating Teignbridge in a close match by seven shots (88-81).
The team of Enid Newman, Barbara Turner, Dorothy Whitlock and Diane Porter (skip) won 24-18, while Joyce Rolph, Kathy Maxwell, Jean Hayward and Shirley Houghton (skip) won 23-17.
Sharon Allen, Pat Smith, Marjorie Emery and Barbara Eddington (skip) also won 34-11 but Joyce Chapman, Mary Cole, Mina Reid and Anne Graves (skip) were beaten 7-35.
You may also want to watch:
Riverain's Tony Webb won his first round match at the Champion Of Champions at Gunton Hall against Chris Rodgers from Melton Mowbray by nine shots (21-12).
He then lost to the eventual winner of the competition, Nicky Brett from Ely, by 10 shots (11-21).
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 3 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 8 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 9 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 10 You Me At Six to play headline show at Hatfield's Slam Dunk Festival site
Riverain won three events at the county finals at Cheshunt Bowls Club on Friday and Saturday.
Tony Webb won the singles against Burgess from Harpenden emphatically 21-1.
The fours of M Allen, Martin Brackley, Darren Hickin and skip Webb won against Watford by 26 shots (31-5).
And the mixed fours of Noreen Gazely, Jenny Ralph, Bob Ashby and skip Brackley won against a team from Watford again by nine shots (26-19).
Riverain lost their weekend friendly against Desborough Maidenhead by five shots (116-121).
Skips names only: Ron Coxall lost 14-28, Brian Mills lost 18-19, John Alden drew 23-23, Dave Webb lost 19-25, Tom Power drew 22-22. Mick Judd won 20-14.
But Riverain beat Stewartby by 23 shots (132-109) in another weekend friendly.
Skips names only: Doug Major won 21-18, Brian Mills lost 20-21, Sam Skinner won 21-19, Ivan Izzard won 24-17, Ron Coxall won 15-13, Mick Hyde won 28-21.