Lacrosse: Double dreams are shattered
HITCHIN S hopes of an historic lacrosse double disappeared at the weekend after defeat to arch rivals Hampstead. The ambitious Lucas Lane club slipped to an agonising 11-9 defeat in the semi-finals of the Southern Senior Flags. And with defeat, the Men s
HITCHIN'S hopes of an historic lacrosse double disappeared at the weekend after defeat to arch rivals Hampstead.
The ambitious Lucas Lane club slipped to an agonising 11-9 defeat in the semi-finals of the Southern Senior Flags.
And with defeat, the Men's South of England League Premier Division leaders cannot now win the double they were so focused on.
"It's a real shame, but Hampstead played really well," admitted Hitchin skipper Steve McDermott.
"We started really slowly and were 7-4 down at half-time, but we did perform a lot better in the second half.
"We got it back to 9-8 and 10-9, but we were chasing the game and they made sure with a goal in the final minute when we were stretched."
- 1 Rishi Sunak visits Stevenage as £900m investment in life sciences campus announced
- 2 Terminally ill Ricky's 'Costa Del Nidge' pool party to help others
- 3 Stevenage teenagers charged following incident at The Hyde
- 4 14-year-old Stevenage girl missing
- 5 Hitchin & Harpenden MP Bim Afolami resigns as Tory vice chair live on air
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 14 bank cards stolen due to ATM fraud
- 8 North East Herts MP declares 'loss of confidence' in PM
- 9 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 10 Nursery with 'unrivalled passion' marks 80th anniversary
McDermott led from the front with a hat-trick of goals, while Jim Mullaley bagged a brace and Eamon Thornton, Rob Stanford, Dan Scott and Johnny Harry were also on the scoresheet.
Four goals down going into the second half, the home side were always going to find it hard to claw their way back.
"I thought we had a real chance to win it when we got back to 9-8, but Hampstead deserved to win," continued McDermott.
"We gave them a good kicking when we beat them in the league, but they've obviously gone away, improved and worked on their mistakes.
"We've got four games left in the league and, if we win them all, we know we're going to win the league. That's our main focus now!