King’s top of the league
Fairlands Valley Spartans Chris King won the women s 45 plus category in the Midweek Road Race League series of four events. She was presented with her award after the Mob Match in Trent Park, near Cockfosters, last Wednesday evening. The Mob Match bri
Fairlands Valley Spartans' Chris King won the women's 45 plus category in the Midweek Road Race League series of four events.
She was presented with her award after the 'Mob Match' in Trent Park, near Cockfosters, last Wednesday evening.
The Mob Match brings together all 13 clubs in both midweek league divisions.
In this trail race over about 9.6k, the Stevenage-based Spartans were seventh in the overall result and delighted to beat some Division One clubs. The Spartan women were fifth.
All ran together but separate results were announced for men and women.
Women's times: Kath Hardcastle 36:50, Annette Bell 39:03, Chris King 41:01, Tessa Stephenson 43:44, Sharon Crowley 46:22, Julie Goodwin 50:14, Nikki Nation 52:47, Jeanette Collins 52:57, Lorraine Thomas 53:19, Sue Connell 53:32.
- 1 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 2 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 3 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 4 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 5 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 6 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 7 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 8 Woman left with injuries after dog attack in Woolmer Green
- 9 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 10 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
Men's times: Graham Blackburn 35:49, Mark Beasley 38:11, Steve Smithson 39:45, Dave Stephenson 40:10, Jim Brown 40:11, Andy Bramall 40:56, Mark Collins 41:39, Richard Sidlin 42:17, Mark Goodwin 42:20, Tony Osborne 42:38, Mick Connell 43:33, Mark Glading 43:49, Paul Holgate 44:00, Nick Stewart 45:38, Dave Huffington 46:46, Tony Willson 48:45, David Smith 51:31, Mark Freeman 52:00.
Two Spartans were in the Faroe Islands on Sunday for the Torshavn Marathon - it was hilly, cold, wet and windy! Frances Ridgway was second lady in 4-00:31 while Roger Biggs finished in 4-03:59.
The previous weekend, four Spartans took part in the Andredsweald Circuit Off Road Marathon.
This was a hilly event in the South Downs based on Forest Row, East Sussex. The course was on a combination of minor roads, tracks, fields, stiles etc.
Spartan times over the full 26.2 miles were: Mike Newbitt 5-17:26, Roger Biggs 6-13:21, Robert Hardy 6-28:04, Dave Carter 7-41:33, Pauline Hardy (14-mile option) 3-53:05.