Junior Open’s a great success
The Comet s column in association with Letchworth Tennis Club contains all the news, views and future events at the club Letchworth Tennis Club hosted the inaugural Letchworth Indoor Junior Open over the half-term week. Played on the club s three indoor
The Comet's column in association with Letchworth Tennis Club contains all the news, views and future events at the club
Letchworth Tennis Club hosted the inaugural Letchworth Indoor Junior Open over the half-term week.
Played on the club's three indoor courts, the event attracted players from all over the Home Counties, ensuring strong fields in all events.
Club member Matthew Cartwright produced the best performance from a local player, reaching the boys' under-18 final where he lost to Jack Howe from Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
Howe dominated the event, winning all his matches without dropping a set.
Jessica Budd travelled from Avon to capture the under-18 girls' title, beating Marie Eracli from Barnet. Eracli trains at the Letchworth Tennis Academy.
- 1 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 2 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 3 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 4 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 5 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 9 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
A close under-12 girls' final saw eight-year-old Kyra Akinnibi from South London triumph in a final set tie-break against top seed Joanne Bowen from Shropshire.
Akinnibi, the youngest player in the draw, showed that she is an outstanding prospect and displayed a rare competitive spirit.
Amazingly, the youngest player in the draw also triumphed in the boys' under-12 singles. Josh Sapwell, a 10-year-old from Bedfordshire who trains regularly at Gosling Tennis Centre in Welwyn Garden City, played superb tennis throughout the event.
He beat Luke Atkinson from Leighton Buzzard in the final.
The club will be hosting a series of open tournaments over the next few months.
At Easter, the club will hold the Letchworth Veterans' Open, with competitions in the over-35, over-45, over-50, over-55 and over-65 age groups. Veterans' competition in tennis is becoming increasingly popular throughout the country and Letchworth run a number of successful teams.
The club will also be holding a number of one-day matchplays for junior players over the coming months.
For details of these and other competitions and tournaments for junior and senior players, please call John Garland at the club on 01462 675444.