Josh’s celebrating a bright new start
Junior players from the region shook off their post-Christmas torpor to compete in the Letchworth Junior Open at the end of December. The event, held on the club s indoor and acrylic courts, was the fourth open junior tournament held at the club over the
Junior players from the region shook off their post-Christmas torpor to compete in the Letchworth Junior Open at the end of December.
The event, held on the club's indoor and acrylic courts, was the fourth open junior tournament held at the club over the last 12 months.
Josh Sapwell, who trains at the Letchworth club, celebrated his selection in an LTA squad to tour France in 2008 by triumphing in the boys' 14 and under final.
He won a tight and entertaining contest against fellow Letchworth player James Doherty who took Sapwell to a final set tie-break. Sapwell is now ranked number one at under-12 level in the UK.
Matt Cartwright from Biggleswade, another Letchworth player, narrowly missed out on the boys' 18 and under trophy.
He lost in the final to Cambridge's Alex Button who produced an excellent display of aggressive baseline shot-making to take the final 6-4, 6-3.
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 8 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 9 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist
- 10 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
Myra Ahmed of Luton won another tight final, overcoming Emma Diver of Newmarket in a three-set match to take the girls' 18 and under title.
Number two seed Francesca Weil of Berkhamsted produced a solid final display to overcome top seed Amy Saunders from Harpenden in the girls' 14 and under final.
The club will be hosting its next open junior tournament in the February school half-term holiday.
* Letchworth's Mini Red Robins are continuing their good run in the Herts Winter team league.
They are unbeaten so far with wins over Gosling, Odyssey and Cassiobury.
Daniel Martin, James Smith, David Latter, Louie Goldscheider, Ania Farthing, Joanna Garland and Rachel Brazier make up the squad.
In the orange team event, Letchworth's quartet of Edward Wilsher, Shimmy Osindero, Danielle Latter and Kate Newby are also unbeaten with three wins out of three over Broxbourne, Odyssey and Townsend.
Robert Lankester, Joe Riant and David Stevenson recently competed in the green race at Letchworth. Robert won both his matches and has qualified for the next event in February.
* As reported in last week's Comet, another trophy has gone in the Letchwroth Sports and Tennis Club cabinet.
Their team emerged triumphant in the final of the Datchworth League Cup, played on the indoor courts at Letchworth on Sunday, January 20.
It is the first time that the club has won the Datchworth Cup, sister competition to the popular Datchworth League.
In a combination of mixed, men's and ladies' doubles, Letchworth beat a side from Codicote 6-0.
The members of the successful team were John Davies, Janine Stanton, John Bennet and Helen Redmayne.