Josh is a national champ
Joshua Sapwell from Letchworth Sports and Tennis Club has become a national champion. He won the boys singles title at the 12 and under Junior National Championships in Bournemouth last Wednesday. The 12 year old defeated the number one seed, Yorkshire s
Joshua Sapwell from Letchworth Sports and Tennis Club has become a national champion.
He won the boys' singles title at the 12 and under Junior National Championships in Bournemouth last Wednesday.
The 12 year old defeated the number one seed, Yorkshire's Peter Ashley, 6-3 4-6 7-5 in an excellent final.
Sapwell got off to a flying start and was leading 6-3 3-0 before Ashley fought back to take the match into a third set.
With both players beginning to show signs of fatigue, it was Sapwell who held his nerve at the crucial time to clinch the title.
He said: "I played really well and it feels great to have won.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 6 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 7 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 8 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 9 Hitchin Beer & Cider Festival set to make triumphant return
- 10 End of an era? Future of Crucial Crew scheme relies on new co-ordinators
"When I put the final smash away at match point, I just thought 'That's it, I've done it!'"
"I've played against Peter three times before and have never beaten him so it was a great result for me. Peter also played well but I managed to win the important third set."
The two boys had teamed up in the doubles final the day before but were beaten 6-1 6-4 by Surrey's Stefan Rhodes and Kent's Isaac Stoute.