Josh is a national champ
Joshua Sapwell from Letchworth Sports and Tennis Club has become a national champion. He won the boys singles title at the 12 and under Junior National Championships in Bournemouth last Wednesday. The 12 year old defeated the number one seed, Yorkshire s
Joshua Sapwell from Letchworth Sports and Tennis Club has become a national champion.
He won the boys' singles title at the 12 and under Junior National Championships in Bournemouth last Wednesday.
The 12 year old defeated the number one seed, Yorkshire's Peter Ashley, 6-3 4-6 7-5 in an excellent final.
Sapwell got off to a flying start and was leading 6-3 3-0 before Ashley fought back to take the match into a third set.
With both players beginning to show signs of fatigue, it was Sapwell who held his nerve at the crucial time to clinch the title.
He said: "I played really well and it feels great to have won.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 6 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 7 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 10 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
"When I put the final smash away at match point, I just thought 'That's it, I've done it!'"
"I've played against Peter three times before and have never beaten him so it was a great result for me. Peter also played well but I managed to win the important third set."
The two boys had teamed up in the doubles final the day before but were beaten 6-1 6-4 by Surrey's Stefan Rhodes and Kent's Isaac Stoute.