Letchworth Rugby Club legend plays his part in England's Six Nations success
- Credit: BRADLEY COLLYER/PA
England's U20 rugby players did what both their senior counterparts and the country's football team could not and lifted silverware this year - with a small part of the U20 Six Nations success belonging well and truly to Letchworth Rugby Club.
Jimmy Tirrell is a former skipper of the Legends Lane club as well as a senior coach and he was involved in the backroom of the U20s as they beat Italy 27-17 in the final game to clinch the trophy and the grand slam.
Also an academy coach with Saracens, Tirrell was defence coach for the campaign and was delighted with claiming the trophy.
He said: “This has been a really rewarding experience for me and an honour to coach these young lads, many of whom will have a bright future in the Premiership and senior national side."
He hasn't forgotten his roots though and still guests at training sessions for the senior side at his old club.
He added: "There is some real talent for the future at Legends Lane as well so let’s hope that translates into next seasons league campaign."
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Stevenage unveil Amazon's Prime Gaming as new sponsors on new kit
- 4 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 5 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 8 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer