Improvement again for Ickleford despite St Margaretsbury loss
- Credit: DANNY LOO
There was much to be happy with in their performance despite Ickleford's loss away to St Margaretsbury.
The home team amassed 271-9 in the Herts Cricket League Division One match thanks to a fine unbeaten 119 from David Murphy and half-centuries from openers Aiden Read (61) and Simon Tilbury (54).
Duncan Jenner 3-38 and Luke Marsden 3-30 led the fightback for Ickleford and although weakened, they battled valiantly with the bat too before falling 54 runs short on 217-6.
Jon Hilliard top-scored with 57 not out and good support was provided by Adam Ross (31*), Tom Willoughby (35), Sam Fookes (29) and Jenner (21).
The seconds are still without a win this year after a one-wicket defeat to Bentley Heath.
Fakhar Islam got 48 not out as they passed 100 for the first time this year and he also took 3-28 with the ball, backed up by 3-25 from Ollie Ellis Holmes, but Bentley Heath's last pair squeezed home.
The thirds did win for the first time though, beating Cockfosters by 19 runs.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 4 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
- 5 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 6 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 7 Stevenage make Danny Rose their fourth signing of the summer
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 9 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 10 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
Matt Gray got 44 and Ed Davies 35 not out while Nick Webb, Mark Howard and Dave Baker got two wickets each.