Improvement again for Ickleford despite St Margaretsbury loss
- Credit: DANNY LOO
There was much to be happy with in their performance despite Ickleford's loss away to St Margaretsbury.
The home team amassed 271-9 in the Herts Cricket League Division One match thanks to a fine unbeaten 119 from David Murphy and half-centuries from openers Aiden Read (61) and Simon Tilbury (54).
Duncan Jenner 3-38 and Luke Marsden 3-30 led the fightback for Ickleford and although weakened, they battled valiantly with the bat too before falling 54 runs short on 217-6.
Jon Hilliard top-scored with 57 not out and good support was provided by Adam Ross (31*), Tom Willoughby (35), Sam Fookes (29) and Jenner (21).
The seconds are still without a win this year after a one-wicket defeat to Bentley Heath.
Fakhar Islam got 48 not out as they passed 100 for the first time this year and he also took 3-28 with the ball, backed up by 3-25 from Ollie Ellis Holmes, but Bentley Heath's last pair squeezed home.
The thirds did win for the first time though, beating Cockfosters by 19 runs.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 3 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 4 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 7 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 App launched to promote shopping at local businesses
- 10 The hidden history of Hitchin's disappeared pubs
Matt Gray got 44 and Ed Davies 35 not out while Nick Webb, Mark Howard and Dave Baker got two wickets each.