Hungary squad’s ready for success
Mid Beds Swim Squad took a trip to the small town of Eger in Hungary for a training camp. The 32 swimmers completed their long course (50m) training camp for this season. The squad had to travel this far to get access to cheaper facilities than in Britain
Mid Beds Swim Squad took a trip to the small town of Eger in Hungary for a training camp.
The 32 swimmers completed their long course (50m) training camp for this season. The squad had to travel this far to get access to cheaper facilities than in Britain.
The swimmers trained for two two-hour sessions per day in the Olympic size pool and were lucky to have a breaststroke stroke-work session by one of the most prestigious breaststroke coaches in the world, Josef Nagy.
Josef has coached four Olympic medallists at breaststroke, including Mike Barrowman from the USA who won the Olympic gold medal in 1992 at the Barcelona Olympics.
He brought with him Sergio Lopez, one of his former breaststroke students who collected a bronze medal in the 200m breaststroke at the Seoul Olympics in 1988.
They gave a talk to the group for an hour on the fundamentals of the stroke and then took eight of the swimmers on their own for some intense coaching.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 3 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 4 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 5 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 6 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 7 Letchworth Outdoor Pool suffers two break-ins ahead of opening
- 8 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 9 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 10 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
Vix Metcalf was pleased with the work ethic and the progressive change in attitude during her 18-month reign as head coach of the club.
She said: "The swimmers completed between 60,000m and 70,000m during the training, most of which was hard work aimed at the swimming competitions that are coming up including the regional and national championships.
"The session from Josef and Sergio was amazing - the swimmers have responded so well and are already putting his tips into practice.