Hockey: Century of goals for Harriet Marsh as Blueharts Ladies' first team rout Saffron Walden 10-1

PUBLISHED: 11:47 27 November 2017 | UPDATED: 11:52 27 November 2017




Another busy week of action for Hitchin hockey club Blueharts - including the superb Harriet Marsh netting her 100th goal for her side.

Harriet MarshHarriet Marsh

Blueharts first team captain Harriet Marsh celebrated a memorable milestone scoring her 100th goal for the club, leading the ladies’ firsts to their biggest victory of the season.

Talented Marsh is a Bluehart through and through starting her hockey career with the successful minis where her skills were spotted at an early age.

A popular club person she was elected ladies’ firsts captain last year and now joins the prestigious Blueharts 100 club.

Player of the match Marsh was first to score in the home match against Saffron Walden.

She set the tone for the match, with her team keen to get back to winning ways. Ellie Cockburn made a welcome return from injury aiding the forwards.

It was Cockburn who netted the second, followed by Olivia Marsh coolly slotting home a penalty flick.

Blueharts kept the pressure on with rising star Ella Blackmore making an impressive league debut, stealing the ball from several Saffron Walden players and driving forward.

With several short corners won, the next goal came from Cockburn who smashed the ball on target.

Soon after Jay Livermore powered the ball past the keeper taking it to 5-0.

Saffron Walden got on the score sheet but with half-time on the horizon Blueharts bounced back with Cockburn showing her skill getting past several defenders to score her hat trick to make it 6-1 at the break.

Blueharts sensed victory but didn’t want to rest on their laurels and hunted further.

The midfield worked hard to keep up the pace with Anna Page carrying the ball into the D past several of the opposition and distributing the ball brilliantly.

She was rewarded with a goal of her own putting one past the keeper.

Next up to score was a brace for Marsh followed by a textbook goal with the ball ping ponged quickly up the pitch between a number of players before being cracked in by Kate Sherwood.

Not content with nine the Blueharts attack picked up again with a formidable ball from Carly Madders finding Sherwood who dunked it in to make it a convincing 10-1 win – keeping the team in second place of East Div2SW.

Other club victories included the Ladies’ seconds who beat top of the table Leighton Buzzard away to put them joint second place in Five Counties Premier Div.

Some tactical changes kept the defence tight and 15 minutes of discipline paid off as Rachel Morey turned over possession, feeding Carol Lamey who in turn threaded a ball through to the lateral run of Kate Chappell.

Her pacy run and stick trickery took her clear of the defensive line before slotting home after waiting the keeper to commit before taking it around her and passing it into the empty goal.

1-0 up and Blueharts looked comfortable. Some beautiful play around the back, Lizzie Bayley linking well with midfielders Rosie Ross, Charlotte Lemon and Jules Rees lead to more attacking play.

Short corners earned by Anna Wallace and Evie McGown proved inaccurate on a very slow sandy pitch and allowed Leighton the opportunity to break.

However Blueharts fought hard and stuck to the game plan, looking solid whilst defending short corners and stand in Keeper Nat Sullivan making some important saves to keep the team in front at half time.

The home team came out strong in the second half using their speedy forwards to get in an early shot, although saved well by Sullivan the defence did not clear their lines and Leighton scored a scrappy equaliser.

Blueharts hit back hard with Player of the Match Kate Chappell coming agonisingly close to a second goal.

Shortly after a well worked long corner allowed a cross to Anna Wallace on the back post to finish and secure a 2-1 win.

The men’s third team travelled to mid-table Hertford with the aim of extending their unbeaten run to six games.

The early stages of the match saw Blueharts pinned deep in their own half as a determined Hertford side retained possession well and had a number of promising attacks.

However, the youthful Threeharts defence of Maylin, Brooks, Jackson and James showed experience beyond their years and held firm, with keeper Jamie Buchanan making comfortable saves when called upon.

After weathering the initial storm, Blueharts began to build their own attacks and were looking far more dangerous on the break. 10 minutes into the game, man of the match Ashley Hammond found himself with some space in the D and slotted home to open the scoring.

With Hertford on the back foot, they became more rattled and mistakes started to creep into their game and the thirds were able to take advantage.

After another Hertford attack broke down, Lendrum won the ball in the middle and some swift passing interplay between Lendrum, Watson and Hammond resulted in another break away attack that saw McGregor finish the move from close range.

Before the end of the half, Blueharts were rewarded with a third goal courtesy of Hammond to make it 3-0 at half time.

The thirds approached the second half with a conservative strategy, focusing on keeping the clean sheet and knowing that they’d already done enough for victory in the first half.

This was a tactic that the team did a great job of executing and the majority of the second half was uneventful, except for a couple of green cards for both teams. In the closing stages of the match, Blueharts won a short corner and Hammond fired into the bottom left to end the game 4-0 and complete his hat-trick.

The men’s seconds had a high scoring end to end thriller at home against Brentwood 1s with each team scoring six goals apiece.

On target for Blueharts were Paul Krishman (3), Dan Drew (1), Mark Flint (2).

The men’s first team faced top of the league St Albans away and lost 8-1 while the fourth’s lost 5-0 at home to top of the table Royston 1.

The men’s fifth team lost 6-1 away to St Albans sixths with the men’s sixth team drawing 1-1 at home against Harpenden with Nick Reay-Jones finishing off a flowing attacking movement from Ben Bayley for Blueharts leveller.

The ladies’ thirds and fourth’s matches were postponed due to frost.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the The Comet

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists