Hitchin Town's first win of the year
Hitchin Town s bowlers played a five rink-match against Whitethorn on Sunday and won by 16 shots (96-80). In warm but overcast conditions, the visitors won three of the rinks including two tight matches. But Hitchin s two winning rinks won by significant
Hitchin Town's bowlers played a five rink-match against Whitethorn on Sunday and won by 16 shots (96-80).
In warm but overcast conditions, the visitors won three of the rinks including two tight matches.
But Hitchin's two winning rinks won by significant margins to ensure the first weekend win of the summer.
The top Hitchin rink was Joe Corda, Jean Parish, Mike Squires and Ivan Page who won all but four ends.
You may also want to watch:
Howard Garden have had a mixed start to the season.
They won 87-68 against Norton and 77-61 against Stevenage but lost 65-86 to Knebworth and 55-90 to Datchworth.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 3 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 4 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 7 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 App launched to promote shopping at local businesses
- 10 The hidden history of Hitchin's disappeared pubs
The midweek bowlers lost 51-82 to Riverain but beat Royston 71-61.
Shefford were asked to supply a rink against the Bedfordshire county side on Sunday.
They caused a shock by winning 28 shots to 13 to give the county selectors a headache. The team was made up of Bill Lamb, Barry Robinson, Bob Izzard and Ralph Archer.
In the afternoon, they played a mixed game against Flitwick and lost by 82 shots to 69. The highest winning rink was Carol Rooker, Sylvia Lawrence, John Batcheldor and Richard Ford.
The ladies won away at Bedford Park on Saturday, while the men played the strong Queens Works side from Bedford and lost 92 shots to 78. They did have a winning rink of Bill Lamb, Len Dolby, John Batcheldor and Bob Izzard.
Datchworth's Blue team beat Parkside (49-24) but the Gold team lost to Hertford Castle Harlequins (27-47) in their Welwyn Hatfield Bowls League matches.
Also, Datchworth beat Shephalbury 79-55 in a mixed friendly and then defeated Howard Garden 90-55 in a Stevenage Mixed League clash.