GALLERY: Hitchin Town’s unbeaten run goes on

PUBLISHED: 17:28 19 January 2011

Hitchin Town v Daventry

Hitchin Town v Daventry

Daniel Wilson

Record breaking run continues with win over Daventry

Hitchin Town 2 Daventry Town 0

Judging by the post-match euphoria, this game may have been a genuine defining moment in Hitchin’s season.

Everyone at the club saw this fixture as a tough 90 minutes against a team that had the potential to upset the Canaries’ plans, and to some extent they were right.

Daventry were tough, Daventry were uncompromising, Daventry were, dare I say, just a little bit agricultural in their outlook – and they were not an easy team to play against.

You can always tell just how unpleasant an opponent has been by the reaction when a goal finally goes in. When Hitchin netted their first goal, there was absolute elation on the aged wooden terracing.

It took time to break through. The first half was very even and chances were scarce.

Hitchin’s first opportunity fell to John Frendo in the 16th minute, a 10-yard drive after a corner was only partially cleared by the Daventry defence.

Zak Burke also went close following a good move involving Frendo and Iuean Lewis.

The best chance of the first half fell to Burke, who received an inch-perfect ball from Callum Donnelly, turned away from his marker and sent a left-foot shot inches wide.

Almost on the half-time whistle, Daventry’s Tom Berwick had the ball in the net but the flag was waved for offside.

Daventry showed a little more ambition in the early stages of the second half and Hitchin had to thank goalkeeper Martin Bennett for pulling off a save from the menacing Russell Dunkley. The same two players were involved again on the hour when Bennett dived bravely at the feet of the big forward.

But the game refused to flow smoothly as the half continued to be punctuated by stoppages.

Hitchin finally broke the deadlock after 79 minutes. They had to work hard for the goal, foraging through a crowded area and when the ball rolled to Richard Howell, his low drive took a deflection past Andy Kemp.

Lewis then sent a 20-yard effort onto the crossbar.

A second goal did come one minute from the end and it was outstanding. Howell looked to have run out of space but he sent the ball over to Frendo, whose crisp volley gave Kemp no chance.

Twenty-three games unbeaten, 71 goals, crowds returning to the sporting centre of the town, Things are looking good for the yellow and green army.

* For the gallery, click on the link on the top right of the page.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

More Hitchin Town FC News


Digital Edition

Read the The Comet e-edition E-edition

Latest from the The Comet