Hitchin late show saves the day
Two goals in the last 20 minutes sent Hitchin through to the second round of the Herts Senior Cup as they beat Broxbourne Borough 2-1. Fielding a much-changed side from the previous game at Chippenham, the Canaries came from behind to clinch a visit to Ch
Two goals in the last 20 minutes sent Hitchin through to the second round of the Herts Senior Cup as they beat Broxbourne Borough 2-1.
Fielding a much-changed side from the previous game at Chippenham, the Canaries came from behind to clinch a visit to Cheshunt on December 2.
Broxbourne took a 17th minute lead through Tony Burke thanks to his 20-yard effort. Paul Barnes had a goal disallowed for offside and Danny Charge headed over as the Canaries tried to get back on level terms.
There were a couple of let-offs for Hitchin, however, when Broxbourne hit the woodwork twice.
You may also want to watch:
Darran Hay's men also hit the post, Des Boateng's effort taking a deflection and flying inches wide.
But in the 70th minute Hitchin equalised when Mark Barnes received the ball in midfield and passed to Charge, who crossed for Scott Balderson to score.
- 1 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 2 Body found in search for missing woman
- 3 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 4 Government curbs council's powers to block new homes
- 5 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 6 COVID-19 cases continue to plummet in Stevenage and North Herts
- 7 See inside this beautiful Edwardian property fit for a multi-millionaire
- 8 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 9 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 10 Historic school to close at end of academic year
Seven minutes later and Hitchin had secured their passage into the next round. A long throw by Darrell Ellams was only partially cleared and Carl Williams played the ball back for Ian Hilaire, who volleyed into the net.
Victory was marred by the 85th minute sending off of Charge, who was red-carded after a butting incident.
Hitchin: Howard, Simkins, Ellams, Gilbert, Peters, Boateng (M.Barnes 65), Williams, Balderson, P.Barnes, Bull (Hilaire 65), Charge