Hitchin just hold on for a dour draw
IT was another drawn local derby at Lucas Lane on Saturday between Hitchin and Letchworth. On a very hot afternoon Letchworth won the toss and elected to bat first leaving the Hitchin bowlers to toil in the sun. The Letchworth batsmen took full advantage
IT was another drawn local derby at Lucas Lane on Saturday between Hitchin and Letchworth.
On a very hot afternoon Letchworth won the toss and elected to bat first leaving the Hitchin bowlers to toil in the sun.
The Letchworth batsmen took full advantage of a good wicket. Jonathan Hilliard (37), Richard Walsh (65), Steve March (53) and Ben Cottenden (29) were the main run getters as the visitors finished their innings on 226-7 off 53 overs.
In reply, the spin of Richard Jerome and Stuart Roberts put an early stranglehold on Hitchin and they lost wickets gradually.
A partnership between Jimmy Lewis (29) and Andy Hicks (46) gave Hitchin hope but then Jerome took three more quick wickets in the middle order and it was left to Hicks and the tail enders to block out for the draw.
They managed it and the game ended with Hitchin on 120-8 with Jerome taking 6-35 off 19 overs.
- 1 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 5 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 6 Hitchin Boys head to National Athletics Final
- 7 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 8 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 9 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 10 Alice, 10, set to chop long locks for Ukraine aid
On Sunday Hitchin lost to Hemel Hempstead in the Becker Cup chasing 264 for victory, Hitchin were bowled out for 235 in the 47th over with Cameron Boyd scoring 78 and Dave Moore hitting 50.
Hitchin play Berkhamsted away this Saturday and St Albans away in the Chess Valley League on Sunday.