Hitchin just hold on for a dour draw
IT was another drawn local derby at Lucas Lane on Saturday between Hitchin and Letchworth. On a very hot afternoon Letchworth won the toss and elected to bat first leaving the Hitchin bowlers to toil in the sun. The Letchworth batsmen took full advantage
IT was another drawn local derby at Lucas Lane on Saturday between Hitchin and Letchworth.
On a very hot afternoon Letchworth won the toss and elected to bat first leaving the Hitchin bowlers to toil in the sun.
The Letchworth batsmen took full advantage of a good wicket. Jonathan Hilliard (37), Richard Walsh (65), Steve March (53) and Ben Cottenden (29) were the main run getters as the visitors finished their innings on 226-7 off 53 overs.
In reply, the spin of Richard Jerome and Stuart Roberts put an early stranglehold on Hitchin and they lost wickets gradually.
A partnership between Jimmy Lewis (29) and Andy Hicks (46) gave Hitchin hope but then Jerome took three more quick wickets in the middle order and it was left to Hicks and the tail enders to block out for the draw.
They managed it and the game ended with Hitchin on 120-8 with Jerome taking 6-35 off 19 overs.
- 1 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 2 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 3 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 Council to build new car park to improve entrance into town
- 7 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
- 8 ATM stolen during ram raid at Baldock store
- 9 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 10 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
On Sunday Hitchin lost to Hemel Hempstead in the Becker Cup chasing 264 for victory, Hitchin were bowled out for 235 in the 47th over with Cameron Boyd scoring 78 and Dave Moore hitting 50.
Hitchin play Berkhamsted away this Saturday and St Albans away in the Chess Valley League on Sunday.