Hitchin crash at Cheshunt
Hitchin s interest in the Herts Senior Cup ended at frozen Cheshunt, with the Ryman Division One North side winning by the odd goal in five. Hitchin edged the first half but were unable to take advantage. Headers by Ian Hilaire and Dean Gilbert were wide
Hitchin's interest in the Herts Senior Cup ended at frozen Cheshunt, with the Ryman Division One North side winning by the odd goal in five.
Hitchin edged the first half but were unable to take advantage. Headers by Ian Hilaire and Dean Gilbert were wide of the target and Hilaire also saw his 20-yard shot saved by Cheshunt goalkeeper Chris Goodchild.
In another attack, Paul Barnes set Hilaire clear and the latter was brought down on the edge of the area.
Cheshunt took the lead after 45 minutes when Lee Roberts netted from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Hitchin took the field without Paul Barnes in the second half. In the 59th minute, Cheshunt scored again, a free header by Gavin Taylor giving Martin Bennett no chance.
Within two minutes, substitute Russell Bull set up Mark Barnes and he took his chance well to bring Hitchin back into the game.
- 1 Police crack down on street drinking in Stevenage
- 2 Arrest made after car crashes and overturns in Stevenage
- 3 Former Premier League footballer vows to help local club after 'awful' fire
- 4 Stevenage welcomes back shoppers as lockdown restrictions ease
- 5 Campaigner calls for council tax refund as littering continues in North Herts
- 6 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 7 Raft of measures to help tackle town's litter problem
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of harassment after Stevenage and Preston incidents
- 9 Busy first day for hospice's new children's store in Stevenage
- 10 NHS staff offered free massages as thank you for pandemic efforts
But Ricky Dobson, totally unmarked, restored Cheshunt's two-goal advantage with another header in the 73rd minute following a free kick.
Mark Barnes gave Hitchin some hope, however, when he scored again with three minutes to go, firing home in the six yard box after good work by Boateng but it wasn't enough.
Hitchin: Bennett, Pepper, Ellams, Boateng, Gilbert, E'Beyer, M.Barnes, Stupple, P.Barnes (Paine 57), Hilaire, Charge (Bull 57)