Hitchin crash at Cheshunt
Hitchin s interest in the Herts Senior Cup ended at frozen Cheshunt, with the Ryman Division One North side winning by the odd goal in five. Hitchin edged the first half but were unable to take advantage. Headers by Ian Hilaire and Dean Gilbert were wide
Hitchin's interest in the Herts Senior Cup ended at frozen Cheshunt, with the Ryman Division One North side winning by the odd goal in five.
Hitchin edged the first half but were unable to take advantage. Headers by Ian Hilaire and Dean Gilbert were wide of the target and Hilaire also saw his 20-yard shot saved by Cheshunt goalkeeper Chris Goodchild.
In another attack, Paul Barnes set Hilaire clear and the latter was brought down on the edge of the area.
Cheshunt took the lead after 45 minutes when Lee Roberts netted from close range.
Hitchin took the field without Paul Barnes in the second half. In the 59th minute, Cheshunt scored again, a free header by Gavin Taylor giving Martin Bennett no chance.
Within two minutes, substitute Russell Bull set up Mark Barnes and he took his chance well to bring Hitchin back into the game.
- 1 Teenager was ‘murdered on way home from prom’ in Stevenage
- 2 Eighteen-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder in Stevenage
- 3 Police cordon in place after man suffers ‘serious injuries’ in Stevenage
- 4 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 7 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 8 See inside this stunning £1.15m Grade II listed barn conversion
- 9 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
- 10 Faulty lift leaves disabled Stevenage residents forced to climb 12-storey block of flats for six weeks
But Ricky Dobson, totally unmarked, restored Cheshunt's two-goal advantage with another header in the 73rd minute following a free kick.
Mark Barnes gave Hitchin some hope, however, when he scored again with three minutes to go, firing home in the six yard box after good work by Boateng but it wasn't enough.
Hitchin: Bennett, Pepper, Ellams, Boateng, Gilbert, E'Beyer, M.Barnes, Stupple, P.Barnes (Paine 57), Hilaire, Charge (Bull 57)