Hitchin are only unbeaten outfit
Hitchin finished the first half of the Saracens Herts League Division One season as the only undefeated team as they drew at Berkhamsted. Winning the toss and electing to bat first, Jimmy Lewis (46) and Andy Hicks (35) put on 66 for the second wicket. Hit
Hitchin finished the first half of the Saracens Herts League Division One season as the only undefeated team as they drew at Berkhamsted.
Winning the toss and electing to bat first, Jimmy Lewis (46) and Andy Hicks (35) put on 66 for the second wicket. Hitchin faltered at 96-1 and lost three quick wickets to look in trouble at 99-4.
Steady partnerships in the middle order between Jeremy Heath (33), Will Pugh (27) and Dave Moore (21) took the Lucas Laners up to a final total of 185.
In reply Berko got off to a great start and with 23 overs remaining they only needed 89 to win with nine wickets in hand.
Moore (4-43) and Hicks (3-52) then bowled brilliantly in tandem as the home side wilted under the pressure.
They needed seven to win off the last over with one wicket left but only managed four as the game ended in a draw. Hitchin took 17 points and Berko 13.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
The seconds recorded another win in quick time with a comprehensive victory against UCA.
UCA lost wickets quickly despite the scoring rate going along at more than five an over with the away side struggling at 61-6 after only 13 overs.
Ian Goddard used the slower ball to great effect as he produced his best display in picking up his first five-wicket haul for Hitchin in recording 5-32 off 10 overs.
Chris Slack bowled another UCA batsman with one on his way to 3-30 to leave UCA with a sorry score of 80 all out.
Hitchin's chase saw four batsmen fall in single figures as the score reached 44-4 off 17 overs.
Ian Mills batted through for an unbeaten 15, while Gavin Bidgood scored 30no to see Hitchin past the target with the game completed by 4.35pm.
* Hitchin lost to St Albans in the Chess Valley League on Sunday. They posted 192 off 45 overs with Will Pugh scoring 65 and youngster Jonny Gray 48.