High farce as two more teams leave the league

The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League round-up This season has seen more incident off the pitch than on it! Two clubs have been kicked out and more could have followed them. Now two more teams have added to the previous three who have folded. Hermit

The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League round-up

This season has seen more incident off the pitch than on it!

Two clubs have been kicked out and more could have followed them. Now two more teams have added to the previous three who have folded. Hermit of Redcoats and Propak are the latest to go.

In the top game of the weekend, Adam Furness bagged four goals as Dun Cow saw off Station in the KLM Challenge Cup. Mark Phillips and Danny Lane also netted. Liam McQueen and Martin Preedy scored for the Division Two side, who are still in three competitions.

You may also want to watch:

Nirankari Sports Sabha won the big Premier Division clash against Bedwell Athletic. Another two from Joel Mason were not enough as Roy Boon and Mark Barnes also netted a brace apiece.

Bottles bounced back from last week's disappointing defeat as Ricky Lawrence netted twice on his debut after signing from King Pin United. Warren Grieve also netted twice, Dan Harvey scored, and Royal Oak put one past their own goalkeeper. The replies came from Terry Pateman and Leeroy Odd.

Most Read

A Paul Orchard own goal, one from Jim Bywater and a Marvin Bates brace saw Stevenage Fencing win against Rileys, for whom Dan Curtin netted the consolation.

Mallard became champions of a farcical Division One after victory in their 'local derby' against nearest challengers, Rising Sun. Perry Phillips, Riki Dance, Chris Burman and Andy Pilgrim did the business which saw the squad partying into the evening. Kaan Fehmi's excellent free-kick and a Tom Hillard strike were not enough.

A brace apiece from James Brewster and club top scorer Ade Barry, plus Gav Bowler's strike, saw MBDA come back from an individual strike from Barry Hazelton against Stevenage Colts, who both took the lead and finished the match with 10 men.

Norwich Union continued their excellent run with a fourth successive win, although Sporting's nine men made it difficult.

Ed Holloway and Graeme Duff put them two up although Sporting pulled one back before the break through Ross Gormer. Holloway, David Adkins and Greg Collins made it 5-1 before Gormer netted again and Luke Deards added two late on to bring them to within a goal.

Division Two leaders Coopers were too hot for basement side Newman. Brad Harrison sandwiched a Chris Goodyear brace to put them 3-0 up at the break.

Danny Rollinson and Steve Bull reduced the lead before Gav Acton, a brilliant goal from Steve Harris, Andy Collier and Jason Lovelock stretched the advantage.

Breachwood Lions are second after a comfortable win. Ali Collins hit a hat-trick, John Harvey and Adam Burnage also netted as they were three-up on the hour. King Pin United replied through Robbie Duckworth and Danny Lingwood's free-kick.

Ian Agass put Triage in front and Paul Chapple doubled the lead. Nine-man ProCladd pulled one back through an own goal from Richard Wilson before Neil Roskilly scored twice.

Brother Mark Roskilly deflected a George Rowe shot to narrow the gap to one again before the break. Tiredness set in with Agass netting twice and Neil Roskilly once to both complete hat-tricks.

Carl Thompson (two), Ant Alcock (two), Paul Cotton and Mark Lockyear netted in a rare win for Marquis of Lorne over RD Newcotech (Chris Smith and Danny Hukin).

Lee Kitching (two), Michael Hatch and Luke Mitchell saw SBS home against White Diamond Security, whose goals came from Ricky Bridge and Lee Hewitt.

The top four in Division Three pulled away from the pack. Incredibly, the league leaders ground out a win but were knocked off their perch!

MBDA Res led through Dave Byatt's penalty before Chris Firth saved Adam Lusby's penalty for Hogshead, who did equalise through Lee Dowsett before Byatt's volley before half-time put them behind again. Bryan Every's lob levelled matters before Steve Timpson's diving header on the hour won it.

Nine-man North Herts Celtic were not surprisingly swept aside to the tune of double figures against Pin Green. Paul Bussey (two), Paul Ryan (two), Colin Field (two), Ben Smith (penalty), Lee Stevens, Paul Ingram-Tedd and Mike Elmes grabbed the goals.

New leaders Broadhall Res almost hit double figures against Hen and Chickens. Steve Teale (hat-trick), Carl Gunning (two), Andy Blackie (two), Alan Widdows and Stan Matthews netted.

An own goal by Paul Dwyer and a Rob Altringham strike saw AFC Stevenage share four goals with White Horse, who replied through Pete Summers' penalty and a looping header from captain Gary Leask.

Granby St George beat bottom side MC Racing. Racing's big number five Dave Coates had a game to forget, claiming two own goals and two penalty concessions. Dan Pinkerton claimed one of the goals, while James Wilson also netted with a 20-yard lob. Steve Koop netted the consolation.

* Compiled by Darren Statto Jones

(statto@cssfl.co.uk, www.cssfl.co.uk)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus